Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   1/4 yd-----WOF (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/1-4-yd-wof-t188577.html)

patdesign 05-12-2012 07:42 AM

The only way to get the straight grain at the fabric counter is to have it torn, I count on losing about 4 to 8 inches when they cut it "squared" because it is ALWAYS off grain on the bolt.

patdesign 05-12-2012 07:44 AM

Just curious what they do when you return the fabric? I thought there were NO returns once fabric was cut.

denveremerson 05-12-2012 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by patdesign (Post 5211621)
Just curious what they do when you return the fabric? I thought there were NO returns once fabric was cut.

I'm sure it goes right into the remnant bin. So BEWARE! " Remnants" is what you get!

mary quilting 05-12-2012 09:12 AM

all of need to get a part time job at JoAnn and see what it is like . Walk in our shoes

GrannieAnnie 05-12-2012 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by mary quilting (Post 5211784)
all of need to get a part time job at JoAnn and see what it is like . Walk in our shoes

JoAnn's would not hire me because I'd insist on cuts being straight and they don't have time for that

nanquilt 05-12-2012 11:02 AM

I have not read this complete thread, but in my many years of sewing I have never received less fabric than I bought. Usually, I receive an inch or more extra fabric. Could it be that I am fortunate to live in the South?

Scissor Queen 05-12-2012 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by mary quilting (Post 5211784)

Actually I think most people would benefit from working some kind of a retail job at least once in their lives. I worked in a book/video rental store and once had a woman have a screaming fit at me because I didn't have a pen for *her* to write a check with. Retail is hard work with low pay.

That said, I have never encountered anyone in a JoAnn's that was less than friendly and as helpful as they could be.

bearisgray 05-12-2012 11:33 AM

As an employee - I'd rather have the customers irate at me than my employers fire me!

Sometimes the employees have to do what they are told - even if it seems stupid to them and to us!

Most of us know - or will learn - that it is up to us to make good fabric choices.

I would say - over the years - that I've ended up with 'more' than i've paid for than what I've been 'shorted'

It seems kind of odd - when we purchase things that are sold by the yard -
if we end up 1/8 inch short - we have hissy fits - if we get 'extra' - we act like we are entitled to it.

For almost everything else - if we get 'exactly' what is listed - we accept it and go on with our lives.

I don't know what to say about fabrics purchased on-line. One can't see them to check them out.

We need to learn to look at the fabric BEFORE it is cut - and then decide whether it is 'worthy' of being purchased and brought home.

That said, some stores and cutters are easier to work with than others.

bearisgray 05-12-2012 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by patdesign (Post 5211615)
The only way to get the straight grain at the fabric counter is to have it torn, I count on losing about 4 to 8 inches when they cut it "squared" because it is ALWAYS off grain on the bolt.

When fabric is torn, I count on 'losing' at least one inch on each end. Some fabrics find being torn painful.

crzypatcher 05-12-2012 01:05 PM

I find that usually the way my request is responded to, is in direct poportion to way I requested it.