Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   2013 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2013 UFO Challenge of the Month (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/2013-ufo-therapy-thread-sister-thread-2013-ufo-challenge-month-t210452.html)

QuilterMomma 03-21-2013 02:14 PM

Would a reverse applique with the same fabric, even if print matching up the print pattern, work? I have used that before when I made a boo boo like that. Try doing a whole quilt and the needle busts and rips the fabric in the center into the back! Now that is fun to replace. Otherwise I would not rip all the quilting out, only where you are at and using the ladder stitch which is really nice for hiding stitches, and replace it with the same fabric and the piecing it in via hand. That is how I repair my quilts and you cannot tell at all once you quilt over them. As Emma said, quilting hides a multitude of sins. If were me, and I could get away with the small hole and doing reverse applique, that is what I would do.

Emma S 03-21-2013 03:59 PM

Krista: I saw the thread where you posted the quilt top, fell in love with it. So bright and crisp, that made it worse. Remember to let us now how you fix it.

dublb 03-21-2013 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz (Post 5943106)
Waaah! I was quilting my March UFO, and decided I needed to redo a section because I wasn't happy with the feathers I'd quilted into it. I ripped all the stitching out, and when I straighted it up to start over again, I noticed that I put a small hole in the fabric when I was ripping :( There's so much work in this quilt, I can't bear the thought of leaving a hole which will only get bigger with each washing. I thought about applique, but I can't come up with anything that won't look out of place - the hole is in the center of the top border. I'm thinking my only option is to replace a section of the border - but that means ripping more quilting (and hopefully not putting yet another hole in it), and then hoping that the 2 extra seams don't stand out like sore thumbs. Sigh. I'm so mad at myself for not being more careful.

{{{Huggs!}}}

kristakz 03-22-2013 06:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Fixed! It's not perfect, but the hole is gone, and you do have to look pretty closely to see what I did to fix it. I decided that mending didn't work (I tried, and I could see the patch). Reverse applique was an interesting idea, and if the quilting were heavier, or more random so that I could be sure the patch would be quilted over, I might have tried that. But I figured my feathers were likely to end up with an empty space right over the hole, no matter how I patched it. And I liked the idea of appliqueing over the borders, but not the effort involved in that :)

So, I did a tiny bit more unstitching, cut out a section of the border and replaced it. You can see the seams if you look closely, but other than that, I don't think it shows as a patch at all. And even knowing where it was, I had to hunt for the added piece. Of course, now that I've found it, I can't un-see it. But I am happy with the result - although I could wish the patch was in the bottom border, rather than the top.
The finished quilt (minus binding)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]403600[/ATTACH]
The patched section
[ATTACH=CONFIG]403601[/ATTACH]

dublb 03-22-2013 06:51 PM

Now ain't that just too purdy? I just love your primary colors! This is a happy quilt. :) No one will ever notice that patch!

carriem 03-22-2013 06:57 PM

Krista--looks like a great fix!!

SandyinZ4 03-22-2013 07:46 PM

If anyone does notice after you point it out to them, tell them it was just a boo boo and you cut the border an inch too short and had to add a piece. Really though, no one will even notice a week from now and even less in a month or a year. Gorgeous quilt!

Emma S 03-23-2013 06:35 AM

Krista good fix! Your quilt is absolutely beautiful. The colors just vibrate.

oksewglad 03-23-2013 06:52 AM

Or in 50 years they will find it and ask "I wonder why she did this?" It will forever be a mystery if you don't tell anyone else. What a cheerful quilt!

J.M. 03-23-2013 10:37 AM

I think no-one will notice - maybe a fellow quilter who's looking closely, but otherwise, no.