Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   accepting sewing supplies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accepting-sewing-supplies-t25321.html)

laralea 09-17-2009 06:43 AM

I agree that she probably is not expecting anything in return. I give fabric away all the time and I have a favorite person at church to give it to. I'm just thrilled for it to have a nice new home and I don't want anything for it. She is very thankful to receive it and that's good enough for me.

mar32428 09-17-2009 07:09 AM

Our sewing guild has this happen all the time. We thank the donors and tell them the fabric will be used to make our charitable items and also shared with other groups who sew for the homeless and shelters. I don't think she's looking for a return gift.

All of us sewers periodically go thru our stashes and clear out those fabrics we are not going to use and donate them to the churches and quilting guilds.

If you have some time and can make her a small gift, that's great but I don't think you should feel guilty. You might let her know from time to time what the fabric was used for or even show her some of the items. I'm sure she will be very pleased to know her fabric is going to a good cause.

Cathy M 09-17-2009 07:21 AM

I think that you are a loved woman. You must be a special person in this lady's life and she is showing you her appreciation in a very cool way. I agree with the others, give her a small gift certificate. In listening to this lady, you probably have a few clues on what would delight her. Value her for the gifts of fabric and sewing stuff, she is obviously honoring you. Take care- Cathy M :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

wraez 09-17-2009 07:46 AM

you are so blessed to receive these items! I know when I give something to someone I feel great just to give it with no intention of getting something in return. Remember it is better to give than to receive and your church member must love doing just that.

Do not feel that you have to give more than a big sincere smile, a hearty 'thank you' and a big hug.

Every so often, in appreciation, you can give her something like a batch of brownies, cookies or other baked item..keep it in your freezer for the right moment. Or I like the gift certificate idea to a restaurant, fabric shop, or book store.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Gwyn 09-17-2009 07:50 AM

I bet she wouldn't even notice if you sent 3/4 of what she gives you to a prayer shawl ministery like Prayers & Squares. You might even suggest she might really like to start such a ministry in your church. Do it some time when she isn't gifting. Keep the fabric you really like and pass the rest along. (I'm just starting a stash and do lots of charity stuff, but I have to buy my fabric most of the time.) A small fat quarter is enough to do a lot of fun stuff, without loading down your sewing room.

Have fun, Gwyn

rosequilts 09-17-2009 07:51 AM

Say thinak yo with a smile. She wants to gove you the stash. If you can;t use it, find a group i your area that makes charity quilts and donate t them. Many quilt guilds have charity porjects.

Bev 09-17-2009 08:38 AM

I agree with almost all of the above. I seriously doubt she expects a gift item for every time she has given you fabric or notions. I'm assuming you mean lengths of fabric, not just scraps? At any rate, I think you're reading too much into her kindnesses, unless you feel this lady is hinting at a gift from you. I would say "Thank you so much, I only wish I could stay home & quilt all the time, too bad my quilting time is so limited." Emphasize how much you appreciate the gifts and ask why she isn't using them herself. Maybe she's getting rid of things because she can't sew or quilt anymore. In which case you're doing HER a favor by giving her things a good home. I wouldn't buy her a gift certificate, simply because what do you do for an encore if she keeps bringing these things to you? Are you going to give her one every time? That could get very expensive for you. The bottom line might be that she is just a kind lady who cares for her pastor's wife and is showing it by giving you small gifts that are meaningful to both of you. 8)

bearisgray 09-17-2009 09:03 AM

So take the fabric/whatever (if you want it and can use it) with a smile and a thank you and see what happens. ??

Bev 09-17-2009 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
So take the fabric/whatever (if you want it and can use it) with a smile and a thank you and see what happens. ??

Good answer. Gets right down to the basics! 8)

GailG 09-17-2009 12:11 PM

I haven't read all of the posts, but here's my 2 cents, for all it's worth. If the giver is like me, she is trying to put her scraps to good use. I hold on to a lot of things, but when I know that someone can really appreciate them and use them, I am too happy to give them away.

Accept the scraps graciously and say a prayer for the giver.