Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Access to quilt shops (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/access-quilt-shops-t91311.html)

ruthrec 01-18-2011 03:31 AM

I have a Hancock's, Hobby Lobby, and Wal-Mart (that I rarely buy fabric from) just notions. There is a quilt shop in North Little Rock (30 miles) but I haven't been there. Am longing to go since I love Batiks and none of the stores in town have them. My favorite quilt shop was in Texarkana, Texas and I would stock up when visiting my daughter, but they went out of business. Said the economy shut them down. I got a lot of fabric for good prices. My stash and the local stores will keep me for a little while. What I don't have is access to classes and things like that. I have to use the internet for tips, suggestions, and this forum is like finding gold at the end of the rainbow for me.

MerryQuilter 01-18-2011 03:37 AM

pretty accessible here as well, fortunate.

Izaquilter 01-18-2011 03:41 AM

EVERY quilt shop is in a 40 mile radius. No matter which direction I go it's 40 miles.......well no we have had a 2 new ones start up but they aren't 'up to par' just yet. Giving them time then they will have my business. The good ones are 40 miles.

michelehuston 01-18-2011 03:46 AM

There is one about 30 miles that I refuse to go back to (poor customer service) and a joanns about 10 minutes from my house but I drive an hour about once a month to a quilt shop in Berlin Ohio that is absolutely wonderful!! The people are so friendly that I have a hard time leaving!!

azdesertrat 01-18-2011 03:53 AM

I have 3 quilt shops within 1 mile of my hhouse, a joanns and a hancocks also within a mile,in an hours drive, about 5 more

stitchinwitch 01-18-2011 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
Living in Springfield, we are the major hub of Southwest Missouri. We are 35 minutes from Branson where Quilts & Quilts is located. We have several quilt shops,5 sewing machine shops,Hancock's, 2 Hobby Lobby's, 3 Walmart's that sell fabric,several fabric shops and this is all within the city limits. Then you can spread out to the north, south, east and west and add more to the numbers. It is nice to have variety and comparison shopping available. I know how lucky I am, 5 quilt/fabric shops are within 1 mile of my home.

TWO Hobby Lobbys? Which 3 Walmarts sell fabric? We live just 50 miles east of Springfield. I'm curious!

dap2762 01-18-2011 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
There's over a dozen within an hour's radius of me, six or 7 within 20 minutes to a half hour. I feel pretty fortunate. I also have one that's about 25 minutes away that has an attached retreat center. Check it out.

http://www.threadsoftimefab.com

It's superb! In fact, I'm going there this Friday for a week long retreat.

Have a great time! I bookmarked the website for a retreat for my quilting friends. Only 10 hrs away that's not bad and love the prices.

CarrieAnne 01-18-2011 05:02 AM

We have 5 LQSs in my area, 2 JoAnns, and a Hobby Lobby. We also have two Walmarts, but they are getting rid of their fabric this month!

Drew 01-18-2011 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb
I think I have at least tied with you...four LQS plus two Joanns and two Walmarts with fabric within 10 miles, another three LQS a Joanns and a Walmart within 40 miles, and still another 5 LQS, a Joann's and a Walmart within a days drive (go and return in a day...and in that day you can take in every one of those if you really push it and if the owners of a couple of them haven't decided to go fishing instead! As you say, each one has it's own personality and it's always a treat to go. A couple of them are really geared to tourists and it's fun to meet the shoppers when I stop by there.

Are you near the quilt shop owned by Dina Pappas? She does a lot of watercolor quilts. Had her as a speaker at our LQS awhile back.

Just Jane 01-18-2011 06:30 AM

I've visited Branson a few times and one of my favorite places to visit there is Quilts & Quilts! LOVE IT!!! You are so lucky to live so close to it! Can't wait to go again! Maybe it's just as well I live as far away from it as I do! But the good news is that my daughter and her husband will be stationed at Whiteman AFB this summer, so I'll be "in the vicinity!"