Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Accuquilt - Worth It? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accuquilt-worth-t184157.html)

qwkslver 03-28-2012 04:40 AM

I like mine. They are expensive when you consider the dies. The mats last a long time. I use mine any time it is possible. It is a real time saver.

reginalovesfabric 03-28-2012 04:48 AM

I don't have one but my 75 year old buddy does and it hurts her shoulders, I got a simplicity deluxe rotary cutter and I like it

echoemb 03-28-2012 05:58 AM

I have the Go Baby and I really like it. I have the 2 1/2 strip and some squares and I use mine all the time. I am in the process of cutting a bunch of scrap material for scrappy quilts and the GO makes the process so much faster.

charity-crafter 03-28-2012 06:18 AM

It really does depend on what you usually make. I think it's great for the drunkards path, pieces with rounded edges that are difficult to cut. The drunkards path has a cut little notch on each piece to make it easy to sew together. It's great for applique pieces and odd shapes.

another option is the quiltcut if you do mainly simple designs-but it also has some drawbacks. Wouldn't it be nice if we all had the space, money and time to get all the cutting systems to fill all our needs/wants/desires?

Krystyna 03-28-2012 06:24 AM

Thanks for all the ideas and opinions. Lots to think about. I started to think of adding one after "carefully" measuring strips to cut into HSTs and then "carefully" sewing 1/4" seams ... and ... can you guess where I'm going with this? That's right! Different sizes. Did I lapse into a teeny tiny coma while cutting? Anyway, maybe I need to pay more attention. Or maybe I need a cutter. Decisions, decisions!

SewCalGal 03-28-2012 04:51 PM

For me, I feel the AccuQuilt has paid for itself many times over. One example is that I now cut scraps and save the cuts in a large ziploc, until I have enough to stitch a block or two. These scraps were typically so small that I would have previously tossed. I have ended up making several beautiful quilts out of such scraps. To clarify, I recommend people pick one or two dies for this. The Value Pack die, that comes with the GO! is a great die for such scrap quilts. I have one scrap bag currently going with red/white/blue scraps cut with the Value Pack die and another scrap bag of cuts with dark-medium-lights in non-brights. I'm close to having enough cut and ready to sew two more tops.....all out of fabric scraps that would have been tossed if I would have needed to pull out a mat, ruler & rotary.

Doatz 03-29-2012 02:44 AM

I have one and am sorry I wasted the money. The dies are expensive and my rotary cutter and Bernina 830 does all the same things and more. I would not suggest it to anyone.

kuntryquilter 03-29-2012 02:44 AM

I use mine a lot.

calicojoan 03-29-2012 02:51 AM

It's a whole lot faster to cut strips and squares yourself, but I do love the triangle pieces and half squares. I think they are pretty over priced for what they are. If you use it great, but for many it's another quilting toy to sit on a shelf somewhere. I have made little use of mine and I had to have it!

sept97 03-29-2012 02:56 AM

lol wish someone would give one away to me. I'd love one but I don't want to spend that much money