Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Agitate manually. Seriously? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/agitate-manually-seriously-t213822.html)

GiddyUpGo 02-14-2013 10:31 AM

Agitate manually. Seriously?

Has anyone ever used Heirloom Fusible Cotton batting? I'm making a quilt for a friend and just bought some to use in it, and as I was getting ready to put the sandwich together I started reading the care instructions--which includes things like a specific type of laundry detergent I've never heard of, drying flat and filling your washing machine up with water so you can "agitate manually." Are you kidding me? I mean, I understand that quilts need special care but I don't want to give my friend a gift that's such a pain in the butt to wash that she never uses it. If you have used that batting do you follow those instructions when washing and if not, what kind of damage are you going to cause? Should I exchange this batting for something that's a little easier to care for?

Tartan 02-14-2013 10:41 AM

I haven't used that one but I use Hobbs 80/20 fusible batt. The package says to wash with a mild soap and agitate manually for 15 minutes in the washing machine. I washed my quilts in my top load washing machine alone with colour catchers and lots of water. I do a short 5 minute cycle (I let the machine agitate I don't do it by hand)and let it spin, then into the dryer.

BellaBoo 02-14-2013 10:43 AM

I wash all my quilts after I finish in hot water and Tide. Even the fusible batting ones. I tell the person getting the quilt to wash in warm water, no bleach, mild detergent, normal cycle no matter what the batting used.

mighty 02-14-2013 09:03 PM

I have a front load so do not think that would work for me. LOL

mom-6 02-14-2013 09:10 PM

I wonder if that's like the tags in clothes that say everything has to be dry cleaned or hand washed? Not happening at my house! Everything goes in the washer with cold water and either normal or gentle cycle then to dryer with the appropriate cycle.

Peckish 02-14-2013 09:14 PM

Are the care instructions you're reading for care of the finished quilt, or for preparing the batting for quilting? How far apart does the package say to quilt it? If it's something like 4 to 8 inches apart, then I would be careful. Having said that, however, I do machine wash and machine dry all my quilts. I mean for them to get used, and it's not practical with most people's lifestyles to not be able to wash them. I have never used the fusible, usually it's W&N, and my washing machine is a front loader.

Jan in VA 02-14-2013 09:18 PM

No, no. The care instructions are for "washing the batting right out of the package, before layering it into a quilt.

The hand agitating doesn't have to be done that way either. I've used Hobbs batting for years and all I've ever done is fill the machine with cool water, stop the cycle, push the batting up and down a few times to make sure it is thoroughly wet, let it sit 5-15 minutes, drain and spin the water out without allowing any agitating, and then "air dry" in the dryer about 15 minutes, then drape it over a drying rack, sofa, whatever for the rest of the evening.

I like the shrinking, wrinkly texture of quilts after they are washed, and doing this to a Hobbs cotton batting before washing the whole quilt, still allows that look.

Jan in VA

willferg 02-15-2013 07:23 AM

I read this once on a quilt guild newsletter. It was posted by a woman who had just made some quilts as gifts for recent high school grads heading off to college. She actually said she put the following instructions in with the gifted guilt. I thought it was unbelievable she'd expect anyone to do all this, let alone a college student! My quilts are all easy machine wash.

Quilt Care
CLEAN:
--Fill top-loading washer with low-chlorine, 80-degree F (27 degree C) water. Add plain sodium lauryl sulfate-based soap.
--Shut off washer. Add quilt. Gently agitate by hand. Soak 5 - 10 minutes.
--Drain. Refill with 80-degree water. Agitate by hand. Repeat this step until soap is removed.
--Let spin cycle remove excess water.
--Lay quilt flat on white sheet on carpet or other surface. Block quilt.
--Fluff on dryer air cycle when nearly dry.

STORE:
--Flat, rolled, or folded in thirds.
--In pillowcase or washed, plain muslin.
--In dark place with people-comfortable temperature and humidity.
--with biennual airings.

DISPLAY:
--in low light. Frequently rearrange for even light exposure.
--in clean environment to avoid extra washing.

humbird 02-15-2013 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5862306)
No, no. The care instructions are for "washing the batting right out of the package, before layering it into a quilt.

Jan in VA

Would it still be fusible if washed right out of the package? I've never used the fusible, and probably won't, but just wondering.

nativetexan 02-15-2013 08:47 AM

do not wash fusible batting before putting into your quilt. yes, the fusible will wash out.
i use Hobbs heirloom 80/20 fusible a lot. i soak the finished quilt, then agitate a couple of minutes, spin out. fill again, soak, and agitate couple of minutes and spin out. then into dryer or clothsline outside. usually dryer.