Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   All young quilters out there... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/all-young-quilters-out-there-t190467.html)

carolynjo 06-01-2012 10:34 AM

4 of my grandchildren had made quilts by the time they were 9. Tell him to get a life. Better yet, hand him a stack of fabric and a sewing machine and show him how to quilt for himself.

jaciqltznok 06-01-2012 10:35 AM

I am 51 now, but have been sewing/quilting since I was a kid!

JanieH 06-01-2012 11:16 AM

I need to introduce him to my 8 year old great niece. One day last summer after she had been over at my house, her dad came and took her home. Their neighbor was out and asked her if she had been playing over at her aunt's house. Her dad told me she looked at him, smiled, and said, "No, I sewed. I'm a quilter, you know!" I was so proud of her!

Brynn 06-01-2012 11:22 AM

23 and quilting since I was 21. :)

babyfireo4 06-01-2012 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by jeemmerling621 (Post 5258085)
I turn 22 next week, and have quilted since I was 20. Before that, I sewed garments and knitted. I'm only one under 40 in my guild. Don't get me wrong, I love my girls at guild and we have a blast at retreat, but it gets a little lonely, because I'm at a different stage in life (i.e. young, newly married, college) and it would be nice to hang out with another quilter my age who has the same taste in music, movies, etc. but can still drool over fabric! Ah well, one can dream :)

We only live about 2 1/2 hrs away from each other! lol I'm in Peru, IN. I quilt with my MIL and her BFF Sally, I met a few quilters at Shipshewana, IN Quilt festival last year but none my age either. Not exactly a newly wed though, we'll be married 7 yrs in November and been dating since I was 14, so that's what 11 or 12 yrs now.

Skyangel 06-01-2012 02:00 PM

I am 51 now but have been passionate about quilts since I was in high school. I didn't have time to quilt when my kids were little, but now it is my creative outlet. Fabrics and methods have changed, as have the reason most quilt. I work in an office all day, putting numbers on a spreadsheet doesn't give me the feeling of satisfaction the making something with my hands does. Quilts are the artistic medium I create in. The colors and textures of fabric are soothing and relaxing. My vintage sewing machines just enhance my appreciation of the history of this craft.

Latrinka 06-01-2012 02:13 PM

That's silly! I'm 50, have been quilting for about 8 yrs, have always loved to sew, cross-stitch, do crafty things, etc. I really don't think age has anything to do with it! You either love it or you don't!

walkswithwolves 06-01-2012 09:02 PM

I made my first quilts, when I was 19. They were demin. I am now 72 yrs young. LOL

ZugZug 06-01-2012 09:39 PM

I am 32. I learned to quilt as a teenager. I don't get to do it as often as I would like due to other life commitments. I also garmet and costume sew, as well as build armor for another hobby, work on cars, ride motorcycles (all kinds) and I love to read and am a professed nerd/geek who loves video games and comics. I can also crochet, embroidery, cook, and do basic carpentery. There is no specific "type" or age that quilts. I think that people should try new things as often as possible...you never know when you will find a hobby that you are passionate about and passion knows no age.

rlane28 06-01-2012 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5256129)
A male friend (?) and I were talking the other day and I told him I quilted and he said only old women quilted. I'm 58 and said I wasn't an old woman and didn't know what constituted an old woman. I told him that women and men of all ages quilted. I said there were many 20 and 30 year old people who quilted. Any of you want to come forward and let yourself be known so I can tell my friend?

I'm 32 & been sewing & quilting since I was 15.