Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   alot of talk about labels- and wanting to sell your quilts-be informed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/alot-talk-about-labels-wanting-sell-your-quilts-informed-t144787.html)

Ellen 1 08-14-2011 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
great, now the feds are coming after Grandma for selling her handmade mittens....lol..

Not surprising....the TSA is already wanting grandma to remove her diaper at the airport security line!! (true story-granny was in her 90's)

marknfran 08-14-2011 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
There are lots of laws on the books that are not enforced. This isn't something that's going to get my panties in a wad or cause me to change my ways.

Did you know there is still a law on the books in Montana that makes it against the law for a woman to hitchhike WITHOUT carrying a club to protect herself@ :shock:

dreamer2009 08-14-2011 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
the rules about textile labeling is really nothing new- no reason to become indignant about it- the laws were put in place decades ago- to protect us from purchasing things that may be harmful---
and some people have serious allergies to different fibers- would you not feel horrible if you made a quilt and used something in it- did not identify it- and someone died because of that allergy???
i would be devestated!
these laws are world wide (although some countries are alot stricter than the u.s. about it)
if you visit the About.quilting site and search for labeling your crafts link you can read all you need to know- but it is not a new (big brother) being nosy issue===it is world wide safety measures...

Thanks so much for putting this thread up here.
So many people just are not aware of this law.

I've know about it for over 30 years.
A friend of mine made tons of quillows for craft shows.
She was fined for lack of tags !! wasn't CHEAP !!
She continued to sell without tags and was caught again
at a convention center show and all items were confiscated.

Sorry people but Formaldehyde is still in use today in your fabrics.
She learned the hard way.

Annz 08-14-2011 08:02 AM

Good to know. Thanks

dreamer2009 08-14-2011 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo

and some people have serious allergies to different fibers- would you not feel horrible if you made a quilt and used something in it- did not identify it- and someone died because of that allergy???

I would think the person with life threatening allergy would not be around places that would have the items that would cause their death much less buy one, label or no label. That is just common sense. Same with the labeling. Use common sense. How many handmade cloth items are made with dangerous fibers anyway?

Felt the need to make a statement in regards to this comment.
I am one of those people with LIFE THREATENING ALLERGIES.
I don't choose to live in a bubble. There is no way to tell what will set it off. I carry an injection kit at all times. It's not about being around anything in particular; it just happens. IT SURELY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH COMMON SENSE !!
One would think you would do some research BEFORE posting
such tactless comments.

bearisgray 08-14-2011 08:06 AM

How would we know what "else" is in a fabric?

Such as formaldehyde, what dyes, etc etc etc?

Not trying to be a smart-aleck - only so much is put on the end label -

dreamer2009 08-14-2011 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
How would we know what "else" is in a fabric?

Such as formaldehyde, what dyes, etc etc etc?

Not trying to be a smart-aleck - only so much is put on the end label -

research manufacturer fabric finishing.

Havplenty 08-14-2011 08:20 AM

ckcowl thank you for the FYI. i make bath and body items & body butters from raw materials. i have a whole binder just on government regulations on labeling my items. i would hate to get sued or fined because someone suffered from something i created and sold. i have ingredient fact sheets i include when selling my products so the purchaser will have a good idea of what they are getting before purchasing. there are those of us who want to abide by the laws and sell safe things to the public.

my qulit fabrics come from all over the world so i can never be sure what was added to the fabrics before i received them. plus a lot of fabric is manufactured in china now and many of us are aware that china includes all sorts of unsafe materials in products they manufacture just looking at the recent company recalls that have taken place the last couple of years.

keep doing the right thing whether others take your advice or not. the same people you are sounding the alarm to are the same ones who are benefitting from the laws put in place by our government. many of us read labels before we purchase items ourselves. we want to know what we are purchasing.... if something lists contents unknown it's a sure bet i won't be buying it.

this labeling information helps me as i am preparing specialty quilts for a vendor event this november. when i had my boutique clothing line, i content labeled all of my clothes including care labels. now i know i need to do the same thing for my quilting products. thanks again.

mary

Originally Posted by PatriceJ

wow- i am really sorry i bothered to let any of you know ---

never apologize for trying to do the right thing or for trying to help others.

personally, i am grateful for the reminder.

ckcowl 08-14-2011 08:22 AM

they apply to ALL TEXTILE CREATIONS- IT DOES NOT MATTER IF IT IS A QUILT- A T-SHIRT= OR A HOT PAD if it is made from a fiber and is sold it is supposed to be labeled what the fiber is. it does not matter what you are making- or selling- it only matters that the fibers used are identified.and some people may think it's just dumb= but that does not change it-

Originally Posted by QuiltingMia
Do these label laws apply to table runners and table toppers?

ckcowl 08-14-2011 08:29 AM

your label should be a permenent one- you can make them any way you want- with a permenent marker- with embroidery- with premade labels- usually attached to the back of the item-
i have always labeled my quilted projects with the name (if its a quilt) the reason for it if it's something for an occassion, any patterns used , my name, city, state, date, fiber content and care instructions---pretty much all information you find on a label for a clothing or bedding item you buy in the store is supposed to be included on any textile item sold-

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Didn't know that was a requirement for "hand-made" craft type items.

How does one create such a label and where does one attach it?

Does it have to be a permanently attached label - or can it be a stick-on one?