Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   alot of talk about labels- and wanting to sell your quilts-be informed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/alot-talk-about-labels-wanting-sell-your-quilts-informed-t144787.html)

MarySews 08-14-2011 10:06 AM

My husband worked for a large manufacturing company. they sent reps regularly to flea markets, particularly to make sure 'stolen stuff' was not being sold.

On the other hand, if you want to offer your products to the public, they have a right to know what is in it.
I have a grandson who has severe and somewhat unusual allergies. We have all become very particular about what we make for him and what goes into those things we make or buy.

Homemother 08-14-2011 10:11 AM

If I sold quilts and things I wouldn't mind labeling them. It's not hard to do. Most everyone puts a dedication label on the backs of quilts anyway. Yes, it's very important to those who have allergies. I have a friend who couldn't touch anything synthetic, but she had no trouble with 100% cotton. Folks will want to know you have produced a fine product and will need to know how to take care of it. It's a small beneficial act of kindness we can provide for buyers. :D

Thanks for the information!!! I'd like to see labels on the things I buy! If I have to guess on the content or how to wash something, I'm usually guess wrong. :mrgreen:

gertz 08-14-2011 10:37 AM

TOO MUCH

Doreen 08-14-2011 10:46 AM

Thanks for the info!

CarolinePaj 08-14-2011 10:53 AM

Oh My.....

I wish I could make a quilt good enough to sell - LOL!

Hugs

FroggyinTexas 08-14-2011 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
The labeling applies to clothing and "certain piece goods" which is a ver ambiguous term. Much of the content of the regulations have been changed also and several modifications are being considered right now. When you see "official" looking people at quilt shows, fairs etc. they are checking for licensing and or tax id numbers to make sure sales tax is being collected. This took place at our quilt show this Spring. i dont think quilters have anything to worry about. The FTC is really more focused on large manufacturers than us.

Here Here! I would like to hear from just one person in the whole world that sold a quilt or mittens that was caught and fined by the labeling police. We have become a paranoid people. We scare ourselves into a frinzy and blame the government for our own fears.

I say if you If you want those mittens and are scared of not knowing the material content, don't buy them. Plain and simple.

And yes there are very important reasons for labeling. most of all the regulations put forth by our government are to protect us from dangerous ingredients and even with it we are not 100% safe. Consider that manufacturers used to use formaldihide as a preservative in fabric and we never knew.

JACIQ' has the right idea

Ditto! froggyintexas

FroggyinTexas 08-14-2011 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Yep I thought I seen a Fed at the last craft show I went to! Very strange this lady was. She was trying to blend in, but can you really blend when you show up in a vintage pink Buick wearing a pink suit? Very suspicious to say the least. I dont know but she might have been looking for illegal aliens also.

I've heard at antique shows that the IRS even has "plants" moving through to see if vendors are charging tax for their sales.

Since I think people ought to pay their taxes and am really, really tired of those who don't, hooray for the IRS. froggyintexas

patricej 08-14-2011 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ

Originally Posted by ckcowl
wow- i am really sorry i bothered to let any of you know ---

never apologize for trying to do the right thing or for trying to help others.

personally, i am grateful for the reminder.