Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Any fabrics you really don't like? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-fabrics-you-really-dont-like-t61481.html)

CarrieAnne 08-26-2010 01:45 PM

I love pastels, and brights. My favorites are the 30s prints, and also anything with animals on it.........funny cute, real looking..............
The only thing I can think of that I dont care for much would be avacado greens or the 70's oranges. Thought I disliked orange all together, but the other day I saw a piece that I loved!

sueisallaboutquilts 08-26-2010 01:55 PM

This is a hard one. But first a funny:
I never liked batiks until I joined the board Now I love them!
I don't care for animal prints (except if they have dogs or cats) I don't care for panels either.
I also go on kicks- love romantic florals, then brights, really got into blenders, oh I need to quit yakking :D
I pretty much love most fabric that you'll see in any given quilt shop :D

Ruby Y Campos 08-26-2010 01:57 PM

Isn't it great that we don't all like the same thing? I am not fond of Civil War or Homespun, they are too dark for me. I do like Amish dark, however. I have taken some of their traditional large scale patterns and sized them down to 10-12 inch blocks then put them in a large quilt. My very favorite is black, white and reds done in different patterns,the ones I have are Rail Fence and a Block of the Month Sampler that is in need of quilting. I am not fond of real large floral prints. But as I said it is good we don't all like the same thing or we couldn't find what we want.

leatheflea 08-26-2010 02:13 PM

I dont like batiks...I think they are icky! Like all others.

MadQuilter 08-26-2010 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I would never pick a 30's fabric or pastels for my own quilt.

How about some paisley? :lol:

Lovin the paisley - still!!!!!

tweetee 08-26-2010 02:29 PM

Im not fond of most flower prints, or any of the 30's prints, just too boring for me. I have made things with flowers, but not alot

I love marbles, batiks, anything that is really bright, and I do like alot of the abstract stuff.

Luv Quilts and Cats 08-26-2010 02:53 PM

I don't like Thimbleberries, either. Too dark for me. Her newer fabric lines which have ligther colors are a step in the right direction, though. I like some Civil War fabrics. I don't like the 60's and 70's retro fabrics coming out now. I would never use them. Other than that, I pretty much like everything else.

Jim's Gem 08-26-2010 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
I'm just curious not just about the fabrics people do like, but those they don't. There's tons of things I like. I'm particularly partial to Civil War reproductions and relatively dark or muted fabrics, like Thimbleberries. I might be the only person on the planet, though (please don't yell at me) that doesn't like Batiks. I know it's uncommon, but I just really don't like them. It's one thing if they're used for a pictoral scene - needing something to look like the sky, for example, but just a traditional quilt using batiks? I'm just not a fan of that fabric. I've never bought any, and doubt I ever will. Am I alone?

What about everyone else? Anything you don't like? Batiks? Civil War repro? 30's? solids? Do you like everything, especially if it's on sale?

I am probably opposite of you. I am not into the dark muted colors and Civil war repro does not float my boat. No 30's fabrics, I'm not into the Amy Butler or Kaffe Fassett fabrics either. I like clear bright colors, florals, Asain fabrics and Batiks.

maryb119 08-26-2010 03:40 PM

There are fabrics in each line that I like and that I don't like. I just choose the ones I do like...or rather, they chose me by calling my name at the quilt shop. I don't care for Thimbleberries but occasionally, there is one that I do like. I love batiks but occasionally, there is one or two that I don't. I just choose the individual fabris, not the line.

trupeach1 08-26-2010 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
I'm just curious not just about the fabrics people do like, but those they don't. There's tons of things I like. I'm particularly partial to Civil War reproductions and relatively dark or muted fabrics, like Thimbleberries. I might be the only person on the planet, though (please don't yell at me) that doesn't like Batiks. I know it's uncommon, but I just really don't like them. It's one thing if they're used for a pictoral scene - needing something to look like the sky, for example, but just a traditional quilt using batiks? I'm just not a fan of that fabric. I've never bought any, and doubt I ever will. Am I alone?

DITTO so you are not alone. I do not like batiks LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE CW repro and feedsack and calico's.