Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Any ideas for small hand work to do... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-ideas-small-hand-work-do-t120847.html)

talkn58 05-05-2011 03:26 AM

How about red work--- lots of stuff on line--just google-
All it takes is DMC in red, and muslin or white on white, needle and a back stitch!!
Also rug hooking- 1.25" strips of ally your left overs and here comes a rug!
Prayers are with you !!!!!

Eloise 05-05-2011 03:27 AM

i usually take embroidery work to do...baby things, pillow cases, quilt blocks, table runners, tablecloths, etc. I espescially like the quilt blocks as I can then put together with other materials and make lap quilts. I too keep a bag for a "run and go". My Mother is 84, in poor health and making many,many trips to hospital. Hope this helps. Prayers going out to you and yours.

foxxigrani 05-05-2011 03:40 AM

I am going to be dr sitting today, and am taking some applique and also redwork is perfect for just what you are talking about. At this time I am doing carousal horses that I hope to make into a quilt by the time my youngest son gets married. And I have some hearts that I am appliquing onto squares to make D9P. Takes up scraps and also can be taken anywhere. A little plastic bag with needle thread and scissors with the squares and hearts fits in any purse.

Sewlmatesister 05-05-2011 03:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Has anyone trie Inklingo?? It's amazing.....you buy shapes on line, lots of free ones, print right on the fabric on computer, includes sewing lines.... I'm making a Sue daley Pies and tarts quilt right now, love it!!!!

sinceresissy 05-05-2011 04:02 AM

I am making 20" square - piecing by hand then cutting backing and stuffing and pinning it together and quilting. This small and easy to carry around. I can quilt without a frame. After I get so many 20 squares made I will sew them together on the machine. I have two different ones going right now. One is a strip quilt out of scraps and the other is like a whole cloth quilt on muslin. I draw a design on the 20" square then quilt it and someday I will sew them together to make a lap quilt. The muslin is cheap and it is easy to carry around. I am not sure exactly how this will look sewed together but I think it will be fine and it is fun to work this way.

BluegrassGurl 05-05-2011 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lindsey
You could start on a grandmothers flower garden its english paper peicing and all hand done. Prayers for your Dd..

This is what I do. Have a small travel kit with everything I need so that I can grab and go. I use the plastic templates from "Brandy's Quilt Patterns". Here is the site: http://www.brandysquiltpatterns.com/

I love them. She has a video on her site that thoroughly explains how to use them.

Good luck!

Peggy 05-05-2011 04:07 AM

Small crochet projects are portable and fill time well - pot holders, chemo hats, afghan strips or blocks to put together later, etc.

Two weeks ago, I had a procedure done to hopeully correct my acid reflux. Had an overnight stay. Took my crochet with me to make chemo hats. All the staff was curious - including my surgeon. Even made one of the nurses a hat as she is facing chemo herself.

NJ Quilter 05-05-2011 04:14 AM

Another non-quilting suggestion - counted cross stitch? Small kits available with everything provided. I find it very theraputic as I requires constant attention but I can mark off my stitches with a pencil so I don't have to keep my mind cluttered. But it does keep both mind and hands busy.

sew_sew 05-05-2011 05:00 AM

I like to embroidery and its very portable.

clynns 05-05-2011 05:15 AM

How do you feel about doing a Mini Wholecloth quilt? If you go to BeeHappyQuilting.com you can purchase a 14 x 14 mini wholecloth that is pre-stamped with a design. I've bought different ones and after I finished doing the hand quilting, I used the method of joining where you matched the front together, sew it and then overlap the backing and tack it down. When I got done, I'd make a lap quilt. Easy to do, folds up and take anywhere. Just need ziploc bag, cloth, batting, backing, thread and needle.