Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Any other dry irons out there? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-other-dry-irons-out-there-t273179.html)

sandrab64 12-10-2015 08:38 AM

Any other dry irons out there?

Are there any other dry irons (smooth sole plate, no holes) out there besides the Continental from the Vermont Country store? I love my Continental but they only seem to last about 1 1/2 years for me. I use a spritz bottle if I need "steam". What about irons that have really tiny steam holes that wont catch on fabric? If not, I will be ordering my third Continental...

Mariposa 12-10-2015 08:40 AM

I'm going to have a look at the Vermont CS too. I can't find any dry irons around here. Thanks!

katier825 12-10-2015 09:07 AM

I just use a regular iron and don't put water in it.

ManiacQuilter2 12-10-2015 10:44 AM

I couldn't live without the steam from my Rowenta. Good Luck in your search.

Cari-in-Oly 12-10-2015 11:52 AM

Vintage irons show up in my local thrift stores quite often. According to one employee, it's usually quilters who grab them up. I found a nice vintage Sunbeam steam iron at that store a couple years ago after burning up 2 cheap new irons. The insides literally melted, I'm lucky they didn't catch on fire. The Sunbeam is wonderful, but like you I still wanted a dry iron. A few months ago I found an old GE Handy Hannah dry iron and I'm loving it. I did have the plug replaced but it's the best iron I've ever had. It heats up fast and stays hot and there's no plastic inside it to melt.

Cari

EasyPeezy 12-10-2015 12:06 PM

Sandra, do you leave your iron on when you are not ironing? I've had mine
(same brand) for several years and it's still working. I unplug when I'm not using it.
I know some quilters who leave their iron plugged all the time and I wonder
if that doesn't shorten the life of the iron. I'm too scared of fires to leave
mine on.

Onebyone 12-10-2015 03:24 PM

I don't know why the Continental iron doesn't last. Mine quit heating after about a year and a half.

true4uca 12-10-2015 06:16 PM

I wanted a dry iron as well. Couldn't find one. I bought a $30 Black & Decker. It's digital (what ever that is). It has a shiny sole plate ( a must), tiny holes. I never put water in my irons. Steams up my glasses too much. If need to I mist using a spray bottle of water. When it shuts off it makes a cute ding. Really like this one. Before I had a much more expensive with a non stick sole plate, what a mess, it always scorched the starch. I couldn't clean it. My sewing group has a Rowenta, I hate using it, takes me two days to remember to not leave my iron flat. At least this iron dings if I leave it flat.

Originally Posted by sandrab64 (Post 7399940)
Are there any other dry irons (smooth sole plate, no holes) out there besides the Continental from the Vermont Country store? I love my Continental but they only seem to last about 1 1/2 years for me. I use a spritz bottle if I need "steam". What about irons that have really tiny steam holes that wont catch on fabric? If not, I will be ordering my third Continental...

AnnieF 12-10-2015 09:06 PM

I am so glad to find other quilters who don't use steam. I have never gotten the hang of it.....no matter what I do, steam irons always spit hot water out at me when I'm trying to press. I find my dry irons in the Salvation Army.

DOTTYMO 12-10-2015 10:32 PM

I tend to turn the heat indicator down to cold as far as it will go when I'm quilting but not pressing at that stage. I unplug completely when I finish for that session. My irons are lasting over 3 years since I purchased one which is excellent for me.