Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any other dry irons out there?

Any other dry irons out there?

Are there any other dry irons (smooth sole plate, no holes) out there besides the Continental from the Vermont Country store? I love my Continental but they only seem to last about 1 1/2 years for me. I use a spritz bottle if I need "steam". What about irons that have really tiny steam holes that wont catch on fabric? If not, I will be ordering my third Continental...
    Sandra B

I'm going to have a look at the Vermont CS too. I can't find any dry irons around here. Thanks!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    I just use a regular iron and don't put water in it.

I couldn't live without the steam from my Rowenta. Good Luck in your search.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Banned
    Vintage irons show up in my local thrift stores quite often. According to one employee, it's usually quilters who grab them up. I found a nice vintage Sunbeam steam iron at that store a couple years ago after burning up 2 cheap new irons. The insides literally melted, I'm lucky they didn't catch on fire. The Sunbeam is wonderful, but like you I still wanted a dry iron. A few months ago I found an old GE Handy Hannah dry iron and I'm loving it. I did have the plug replaced but it's the best iron I've ever had. It heats up fast and stays hot and there's no plastic inside it to melt.

Cari
    Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 12-10-2015 at 11:56 AM.

Sandra, do you leave your iron on when you are not ironing? I've had mine
    (same brand) for several years and it's still working. I unplug when I'm not using it.
    I know some quilters who leave their iron plugged all the time and I wonder
    if that doesn't shorten the life of the iron. I'm too scared of fires to leave
    mine on.

I don't know why the Continental iron doesn't last. Mine quit heating after about a year and a half.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I wanted a dry iron as well. Couldn't find one. I bought a $30 Black & Decker. It's digital (what ever that is). It has a shiny sole plate ( a must), tiny holes. I never put water in my irons. Steams up my glasses too much. If need to I mist using a spray bottle of water. When it shuts off it makes a cute ding. Really like this one. Before I had a much more expensive with a non stick sole plate, what a mess, it always scorched the starch. I couldn't clean it. My sewing group has a Rowenta, I hate using it, takes me two days to remember to not leave my iron flat. At least this iron dings if I leave it flat.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrab64 View Post
    Are there any other dry irons (smooth sole plate, no holes) out there besides the Continental from the Vermont Country store? I love my Continental but they only seem to last about 1 1/2 years for me. I use a spritz bottle if I need "steam". What about irons that have really tiny steam holes that wont catch on fabric? If not, I will be ordering my third Continental...
    True4uca

I am so glad to find other quilters who don't use steam. I have never gotten the hang of it.....no matter what I do, steam irons always spit hot water out at me when I'm trying to press. I find my dry irons in the Salvation Army.
    Life is Good!!!

Blog Entries
    I tend to turn the heat indicator down to cold as far as it will go when I'm quilting but not pressing at that stage. I unplug completely when I finish for that session. My irons are lasting over 3 years since I purchased one which is excellent for me.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    I've had my Continental for almost 5 yrs, and no problems with it. I unplug it when it's not being used.

I have never found the steam holes in the bottom plate of my iron have any effect on the ability of the iron to work. So every iron is a dry iron. I never put water in mine, steaming stretches fabric.
    As for leaving it plugged in, do you at least turn it off? You cannot trust the auto off functions of an iron, just takes one earth quake, cat jumping on the ironing board, clumsy person walking past to knock that iron off (hence turning it on again). Turn it OFF! Unplugging has nothing to do with the life of an iron.
    tim in san jose

KLO
    Blog Entries
    I too have an iron with the holes but don't use water in it either. It does like to spit sometimes and it always seemed to happen on white/light fabric so I stopped putting water in it and like others use a spay bottle. When I am doing fusible applique, I use an old iron I picked up at a "junque" shop that does not have the steam holes. Much better for fusing. I too always turn my iron off if I am not going to use it for a while and always, always unplug it when I leave my studio (not attached to the house) for any reason. I know I would forget it sometime otherwise. It's a habit I want to keep going.

If your iron spits water make sure the water us hit. The only time mine spits is when the water is not hot enough to make steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I don't know why the Continental iron doesn't last. Mine quit heating after about a year and a half.
    My third Continental just quit, too. I guess I'll give up on that brand, but I really like it a lot when it works.

At Amazon, the Continental is almost $9 cheaper there and they have Black and Decker and some other brands of dry irons.

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
    That works just fine for me. Or, try an old iron without water, one that no longer steams. That works too.
    All my grand-children have paws.

I've used an older Sunbeam without steam for quite a while now. It has an automatic shut off feature which can be a nuisance at times, but the dry pressing is perfect. I've never had problems with the steam holes making an impression on the fabric.
    Blessings,
    Angela
    Hello from Shenandoah Valley, VA. Quilting a few years. Love the process of creating the quilt top, but don't like making the sandwich of top, batting and backing as much. We have two Labrador Retrievers, a yellow and a chocolate. Blessings to all!

Quote Originally Posted by sandrab64 View Post
    If you're concerned about fabric getting caught in the steam holes, are you doing applique? If so, the Clover Wedge Iron might be good for you. It's too small to use for ironing yardage, but has a solid sole plate, and is a good size for pressing individual blocks. I've seen it for sale on Craftsy, Amazon, and Nancy's Notions, and I assume it's available elsewhere as well.

I have an GE dry iron that I have been using for 50 years, check thrift stores for one of those. I have never had any problem with it. If I need steam I just use a spray bottle. I do have steam irons, but hardly ever use them.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    That's what I do. Have never had a dry iron. Just didn't use water.
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post

My favorite iron with a no-holes sole plate is an ancient one I found at a Habitat Resale place. Maybe look there?

Blog Entries
    I found a black and Decker dry iron on Ebay recently. My iron from Vermont CS bit the dust last month after two years

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I couldn't live without the steam from my Rowenta. Good Luck in your search.
    Me too!!! I love the steam.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

I have had no luck with the Continental from Vermont Country store. The first one they sent me was damaged in transit according to FedEx and they wouldn't deliver it as a result. Vermont Country Store sent a replacement that heated up really fast and was good and seemed really nice, but the 2nd time I used it something started rattling around inside, so it went back. Vermont Country Store sent yet a third Continental to me, but the sole plate was incredibly rough (a manufacturing defect) and dragged the fabric around the ironing board as a result. So I sent that one back too... Oh well.

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast