Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is Anyone Cramming to Get a Quilt Finished for a Christmas Present? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-cramming-get-quilt-finished-christmas-present-t208757.html)

northerncreations 12-19-2012 09:40 AM

A very good friend of mine brought a shopping bag of T-shirts and asked me to make a quilt for her son. Fortunately the only timeline was Xmas. I was hesitant as I consider myself a newby and had never done a T-shirt quilt. I finished it last Sunday, got re-adjusted by the chiropractor Tuesday and everyone is happy.

I want to thank everyone on this board. Your comments encouraged and gave me the confidence to tackle a T-shirt quilt. My friend and her husband are ecstatic and asked if I would be willing to do one for their daughter's sorority Ts.

Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.

outdoor_gal 12-19-2012 10:35 AM

Me! I am doing my first quilts, just jelly roll race style with fleece backings. I have 3 to finish and am thinking they may end up as new years gifts instead since only 1 quilt top is done, 1 is about 80%, and the last still needs some strips cut before I can even start sewing it up.

Becky Crafts 12-19-2012 10:50 AM

Actually, I am trying to finish one for my 92 yr old FIL and I'm at a standstill with it right now while waiting for the flannel backing to arrive because DH had a definite idea what he wanted on the back and what I got wasn't it!! So, I hope Connecting Threads sends it fast because I want to ship it out after New Years' Day! I was upset at first until I realized...maybe I'll get to quilt it on my new sewing machine!! :-)

mooshie 12-19-2012 11:36 AM

I have one that just needs binding for my DD. But seeing as how it's less than a week 'till Christmas I guess you could call that cramming. LOL!

josykatz 12-19-2012 02:23 PM

I feel like I'm going crazy trying to get everything done. I've just started quilting about 2 months ago. I planned to make a quilt for my best friend as a Christmas gift. While making it my husband asked if I'd make one for his sister. Then I was just playing one night putting together all these blocks from a fabric sample book. I was going to make a pillow cover for a window seat for my cats. It came out so nice my husband thought it'd make a good quilt for his Dad so quilt #3 went on the list. I've so far finished the first two and I just got in the batting to work on the one for my FIL. I had been using polyester batting from Walmart as I didn't know better. The quilts I worked so hard on now have bearding happening so I insisted I wouldn't do another without better supplies. My husband is such a sweetheart he told me to buy an entire roll of cotton batting. Of course as I was getting the first two finished my husband asks me to make one for his Mother as well and oh by the way her birthday is the first week in January. I'm not sure I ever want to be committed to that many quilts in such a short time ever again. I will admit I'm enjoying learning and making them. I just want to go a bit slower with my next one.

LivelyLady 12-19-2012 03:12 PM

Every year it seams I'm cramming to get the quilt gifts done. This year in Jan, I browsed through patterns, books, this board, and surfed the net getting ideas for Christmas this year. By the end of Jan, I had my list of recipients and patterns and then through Feb got the fabric and started a couple of them. By the first of September all were done! I loved not having the stress and plan on doing the same for 2013.

quilting4five 12-19-2012 07:18 PM

Like Feathers-N-Fur, I'm trying to finish a quilt that I "gave" last year! I had finished a pretty log cabin top in the fall of 2011, and when my sister and brother-in-law were here @ Christmas, I let them unwrap the top, with the promise that I would do the quilting and send it to California where they live. Well, they'll be back this year (I live in WI) and yep, I've only sewn my stabilizing seams...one of which bunched up right at the exact quilt center and had to get ripped out. Probably my fault; I don't think I had the layers taut enough when pinning, so doing SITD with a decorative stitch made everything wonky! Bleh. I kinda can't wait until it's done and gone, lol!

QuiltnLady1 12-19-2012 08:55 PM

Ran out of time to do anything (too much going on in our life) -- will have to start working hard in January.

justflyingin 12-20-2012 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by fayzer (Post 5728448)
Heck no. I don't have the tree up, haven't decorated or wrapped presents. Sure not sewing for anyone.

This is where I am right now. Sick and barely functioning.

Dodie 12-20-2012 04:54 AM

yes I am must finish hand sewing a binding on one and another to pin baste today quilt and bind by Monday I use my Bernina for quilting and with other things going will be some long hours 5 more days then we crash