Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone Had a RUDE Hancock Store Manager? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-had-rude-hancock-store-manager-t33095.html)

Lostn51 01-05-2010 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Billy - you would NOT have problems at any of my LQSs! We've got several men who quilt and all the ladies just love seeing a man walk into their shop. Trust me, here you would get fawned over and made a big deal of, then talked about to all the other customers and their friends about how wonderful it is that more men are quilting nowadays. ;)

Sounds like my kinda place!!! When can I come?

Billy

Tiffany 01-05-2010 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy - you would NOT have problems at any of my LQSs! We've got several men who quilt and all the ladies just love seeing a man walk into their shop. Trust me, here you would get fawned over and made a big deal of, then talked about to all the other customers and their friends about how wonderful it is that more men are quilting nowadays. ;)

Sounds like my kinda place!!! When can I come?

Billy

Any time you like! I've even got a guest bedroom for you and your lovely wife. :wink: :wink:

jljack 01-05-2010 01:59 PM

[b
jljack[/b]: Did you ever get a response back from Corporate?

Not yet. I think I'll find the corporate offices and call. After hearing all the bad info on Hancock's, maybe a call is better.

tigerlily11 01-05-2010 02:02 PM

I've had some similar experiences with some other stores, not Hancock's though. A few, in particular, really bothered me, so in order to diffuse my "disgruntledness" I submitted an email to the primary webpage of the particular company explaining the situation I found myself in. I felt much better afterwards--not because I "got even". But because I was proactive. Retail sales and business is a collaborative venture between owner and customer. We each need other and must behave in responsible, respectful and adult-like ways in order to keep things working correctly and satisfactorily for both parties. If things get out of whack, it helps me to take some responsible action to do my part to set things back on an even keel. In most cases, companies have been very solicitous and willing to make things right. Gives me a little bit of hope for our current state of affairs in the business sector of America. For whatever it's worth.

ellenmg 01-05-2010 04:53 PM

Every time I go to Hancocks every employee is crabby, rude, disinterested....Maybe they pipe in crabby gas...Once I was holding the huge box of batting by the yard, and the stupid cutting woman was on a personal cell phone call. She just kept talking and ignored me for easily 5 minutes...I was 2 feet from her...I only go for sale thread or fleece, which seems to be their focus lately... I wouldn't give them any more business. Or to use the sale coupons which are short-lived. Means I have to drive a lot further or order online....Although, it is rather fun to be a bubbly, smiley-faced perky lady in the face of such grumpieness....
Ellen

Oklahoma Suzie 01-05-2010 05:02 PM

That is rude. I don't shop hancocks much. They don't have much nice fabric anyway.

Lyn4ty 01-05-2010 05:46 PM

Hancocks fabric really isn't very nice at all anymore, I think it's mostly dress material and childrens flannels. I tried to find some nice Christmas material for a background and all I could find was large/huge prints. No one there ever wants to help, just points and says it's over there somewhere. Very rude indeed, I rarely go there. I hope that corporate gives you some kind of satisfaction or apology, but really I don't think you should hold your breath. Corporate America really doesn't care about people anymore, just the almighty dollar. Too bad they don't realize that good customer service will bring back the customers and their dollars on a regular basis. Good luck though!!

bluebird 01-05-2010 07:03 PM

The lady (owner) asked me if I was shopping for my wife and I told her no that I was starting to learn how to quilt and was needing a few things. She offered some courses and I declined at the time because of a few projects I had going on. Then she start quizzing me about what machine I was going to use and when she found out that I was using a 100yo treadle she told me "Good luck with that" in a snippy attitude.

After about 15 minutes of her attitude and I just told her she didnt need any of my money and walked out.

Billy[/quote]

She figured she couldn't sell you on classes let alone an expensive machine. Good for you walking out and not spending anything there :-D Always figure I've been to a place like that twice, the first time and the last time.

IngeMK 01-05-2010 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by ellenmg
Every time I go to Hancocks every employee is crabby, rude, disinterested....Maybe they pipe in crabby gas....
Ellen

lol, I guess I'm lucky, the employees of the store I go to are really nice. Not thrilled about the selection though. But the only LQS left in town has business hours that are not doable for me (I gotta work 8 to 5 people! so don't close at 5:30 )
:evil:

stashblaster 01-05-2010 08:25 PM

I am doing more shopping now at Hancock's than in the past. They are finally getting more garment fabric. There are ladies that work there that really should retire, they've been there forever. They are lazy and unresponsive when you ask a question. They do have some new help who are very nice.

Joann's is the thorn in my side. I don't know how many of them could pass a math test. They leave old sale signs up and you get your fabric cut and find out it is not on sale. Other stores would give you the sale price,not Joann's. Most of these employees can't sew. I can't tell you how many times I've been at the cutting table hearing a question and answer session. I just roll my eyes. Usually the people that need to ask a question are beginners sewers. They really need someone knowledgeable to help them. Why is it there are no clear cut policies at Joann's? I ask the person at the cutting table about using a Hancock coupon. No problem. I then go up to the register, that person tells me that they won't honor the coupon. How difficult is it to communicate simple things to employees?

Hobby Lobby is hit and miss with customer service. I think one gal just shudders when she see's me in the department. I'm there a lot. Hobby Lobby used to have fantastic clearance sales. I would but tons of fabric. I don't think she liked counting all the yardage on the bolt. You could tell by her body language that she didn't like my cart load of fabric. I would tell her, give me everything on the bolt. She made it apparent that she would rather be stocking plastic flowers.

I've also experienced elitist attitudes at the LQS. I think you need to be a weekly customer to be given decent treatment. Just because this is the first time you've seen me in your store doesn't mean I'm a beginner.

Finally, I'm lucky that I have two Wal-Marts with fabric. One right near work and the other one not too far from home. Believe it or not, the gal at one of the Wal-Mart stores beats everyone hands down for customer service. She's very friendly and knows her merchandise.