Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone own this machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-own-machine-t76645.html)

newestnana 11-17-2010 09:28 AM

I have a Brother that I got through Costco and have had some problems with it that cost me lots of time. (Perhaps this model is improved.) Consumer Reports rates sewing machines and they previously recommended a Kenmore that was about $120 (possibly less, on sale). I also have that machine -- sorry, I don't have the model number, but it is non-computerized. I keep the Brother at one son's house (in Boston) and the Kenmore at my other son's house (in Phoenix) :-) At home, I have the Janome 6600P.

sweetcheeks 11-17-2010 10:40 AM

Personally I'm sold on Janome sewing machines. They are very user friendly. The reason I know this is because when I started quilting 8 years ago I didn't own a sewing machine and had NEVER SEWED and am now making beautiful quilts. I bought a low end machine and traded up to a Memory Craft 4800 which is a good quilting machine and I've never had any problems. Janome gives lessons along with their machines. You could perhaps buy a used machine that has more features that someone had traded in and save yourself some money. Two of my friends have Janomes that are 19 and 24 years old without any repairs. Belonging to a quilting group usually is an excellent idea as I've found quilters are very generous with their knowledge. Good luck on finding a machine.

bjinar 11-17-2010 10:51 AM

I bought it from Walmart.com.After a few days I returned it because it would only use half a bobbin and the machine would wine and make other strange noises.Wont buy another.

newestnana 11-17-2010 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by newestnana
I have a Brother that I got through Costco and have had some problems with it that cost me lots of time. (Perhaps this model is improved.) Consumer Reports rates sewing machines and they previously recommended a Kenmore that was about $120 (possibly less, on sale). I also have that machine -- sorry, I don't have the model number, but it is non-computerized. I keep the Brother at one son's house (in Boston) and the Kenmore at my other son's house (in Phoenix) :-) At home, I have the Janome 6600P.

I forgot to mention that Kenmore machines are made by Janome.

busygranny 11-17-2010 12:06 PM

Go to a store that handles this machine. Then you can ask questions and try it out. I have a Brother machine, not this particular one, but I love mine. Also check out the home shopping network. They handle Brother and they have some very good buys there. Also if you buy from them and don't like it, you can return it easily. That is where I got mine and it was a better buy than in a sewing center shop. Doesn't cost anything to check it.

Dawneda 11-17-2010 02:30 PM

I don't own this one but it looks like a great machine, happy sewing.

Laura22 11-17-2010 02:45 PM

I have this one, the reviews on Pattern Review really impressed me and I needed an inexpensive machine for classes. I use it for all kinds of piecing, FMQ, etc. Not a fancy machine, but it gets the job done for me every time and never gives me any trouble. I also have a larger Brother Embroidery combo machine and a serger and coverstitch by Brother.

PattyJean 11-17-2010 05:26 PM

My daughter and a cousin both bought this machine from Walmart about a year ago for $159. They are both real pleased with the machine but neither are big quilters. My daughter does a lot of craft sewing and the cousin is learning to quilt. I have sewn on my daughters and thought is was a great little machine. It is very light weight so easy to get out and put away. If you go on their website, walmart.com, they ship it free to your home.

4dogs 11-17-2010 05:35 PM

Cindy in NY......I just saw this very machine (I think) in Wal Mart and it was on sale for $135.00............BROTHER..........had about a zillion different stitches on it........I thought it looked like a really good price for it..........was so tempted / my Bernina is in the shop for repairs right now, and I would sure like a back-up machine for times like this.........anyways, the one I saw at Wally World sure looks like the photo of this one..........cheaper and no shipping.......worth a look, yes?

cactuscamp 11-17-2010 05:40 PM

i have this machine and keep it in the motorhome for traveling with. use it mostly for piecing have had it for 4 yrs and no trouble at all with it.