Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone Working on the Color Wash Quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-working-color-wash-quilt-t320469.html)

SuzSLO 04-22-2023 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 8598176)
oOoooo pretty! I set my basket of kitted up stacks on the floor yesterday and my jack russell grabbed a big mouthful and took off knocking over the basket. :) So I'll kit my kits as I sew along.

Too funny!

CharisW 05-20-2023 04:17 AM

Yes. Her video showed up just recently in my Facebook feed and I was captivated. So, now I am hooked. Have been organizing my scraps...hit Big Lots to buy a bunch of the shoebox size plastic tubs, so I could sort them into color groups, as previously all my scraps were in one big bin. And now I am starting to work through them to make "kits". I had also done a Google search about them, which is how I found this board and question, which prompted me to join so I could work along other folks doing the same thing.

aashley333 05-20-2023 04:54 AM

CharisW, welcome! A Google search helped me find this site! Best thing ever! My CW project is ongoing between new projects! I took my first 2 sewing classed this month and have been sidetracked!

Teen 05-27-2023 12:01 PM

I found Terry a few months ago through another YouTuber and have wanted to do a colorwash….I am currently at about 250 3 1/2” blocks now. It goes so fast. I am definitely going to need a recommended tablecloth for the layout of this. I’m not seeing a huge dent in my scrap bags, though. I’m trying to use fabrics only once. Whoever is using batiks…those will be gorgeous. I don’t have batiks so we will see how this looks at layout time.

KalamaQuilts 05-28-2023 05:46 AM

probably me using batiks, I didn't have any either so reached out to buy scraps. I have better than 400 blocks finished, but got sidetracked by my temperature quilt which should be finished today.
I Love making the colorwash blocks, the improv of it is so freeing.

aashley333 05-28-2023 05:53 AM

Kalama, a question. Did you sort shades as you completed the blocks, or wait til the end? I thought I'd wait til the end, but yours seems so organized!

KalamaQuilts 05-28-2023 06:14 AM

when I ran out of kitted up blocks I sorted all the trimmed finished blocks into color stacks and then counted those into stacks of 20. Mostly because I didn't really want to end up with a giant purple blob or something. And I want to know when I'm getting close to the 700 needed for the full quilt. Not so much organized as a lazy bum :)

And every day I sew I'm grateful for my full size working wall to lay stuff out on. No way could I sort on the floor like Terry shows herself doing in her video. Ouch times 100

Teen 05-30-2023 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So, I blasted through my scrap bags for the first run-thru…now expanding on each color’s varying shades. This is 270 of them, so far. Little over Half-way…..really enjoying the No-fuss sewing…

osewme 05-30-2023 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Teen (Post 8603382)
So, I blasted through my scrap bags for the first run-thru…now expanding on each color’s varying shades. This is 270 of them, so far. Little over Half-way…..really enjoying the No-fuss sewing…

Wow! I can't wait to see what magic you make with those blocks in your color wash quilt.

SuzSLO 05-31-2023 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Teen (Post 8603382)

Looks great! They really are perfect for those times when your brain just wants a little rest.

I will admit I bought some “scraps” the other day (to make a free shipping minimum) with the justification to myself that I could use them for this project. Sigh. Not the attitude that will clear out the scrap bins.