Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anything fundamentally wrong with this layout (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anything-fundamentally-wrong-layout-t275222.html)

Penster 01-31-2016 11:36 AM

Anything fundamentally wrong with this layout

1 Attachment(s)
I am color challenged AND new to quilting, so am looking for advice...attached is a proposed layout for my quilt. The missing squares will be plain off white. Please tell me if I am breaking any kind of color contrast matching rules...I have laid it out so many times, nothing says THIS IS IT, yet nothing is awful. I just want to be sure I shouldn't have thought of something important....but I have no idea what that might be. May I please have some words of experience before I sew this baby together?

Irishrose2 01-31-2016 11:59 AM

It looks good to me. Scrappies are tough to lay out. At some point you just say the sentence i use on my matchy-matchy daughter, "It all goes together when it's sewn together." Very nice workmanship.

cjsews 01-31-2016 12:00 PM

I like what you have there. Don't see anything glaring that needs moving. Sometimes with scrappy quilts you just have to say "looks good enough" and go with it.

Jeanne S 01-31-2016 12:40 PM

It looks well balanced to me!!! Colors and values are nicely spaced out.

Tartan 01-31-2016 12:45 PM

Your blocks are nice but if you look at the colour of your design wall, that will be about the same as the off white squares. I might go for a little warmer colour similar to the others. Or I might go wild and crazy and do those squares in a plaid or paisley that picks up some of the other colours.

lynnie 01-31-2016 12:51 PM

looks good, in my book, there are no color rules.

Kitsie 01-31-2016 01:53 PM

I like it and the colors except the background - Something like a natural colored muslin would keep the warmth. (doesn't have to be muslin, but that color). Its a very "friendly" quilt.

zozee 01-31-2016 02:07 PM

It looks good to me. I would maybe switch out one of the blocks in the lower left quadrant where you have matching fabric. And I wouldn't use a light background. I'd try scrappy tone-on-tone fabric blocks that read solid-- rich chocolate deep forest green, coral, red clay, sand, pumpkin.

tesspug 01-31-2016 02:07 PM

Scrappy is hard to balance because there is always something not perfect, yours is pretty close. Just me, but I would trade the striped section, first row on the left, third one down, dark outer strip with a light inner strip, with the green stripe next row over on the bottom. The dark strip is so similar to the square of the next block it reads as one stripe.

ube quilting 01-31-2016 02:55 PM

This is turning out wonderful. I don't thinks there is any real problems.

Take a look at the second block down in the first column, The lighter shades are one the outsides of the strips and there are two other places like this. All the other strip blocks are darker on the outside and lighter on the inside. They aren't wrong or anything like that but depending on what shade the center fabric is going to be, they might wash out the pattern if the colors are too similar.

I really like the overall look of the quilt and would be personally very happy with this accomplishment. I love scrappy quilts and I think even being color challenged as you say, you have a good eye for scrappy quilting.

Congratulations.
peace