Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-club-do-you-like-applique-lets-chit-chat-here-t64769.html)

Conniequilts 10-30-2010 07:25 AM

I'm late, I'm late for a very important date! If it's ok, I am going to try to catch up with the hearts project. Won't be doing it exactly as I am supposed to be, time and money constraints (ya know) but will do what I can.

Does anyone mind?

BonniFeltz 10-30-2010 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Conniequilts
I'm late, I'm late for a very important date! If it's ok, I am going to try to catch up with the hearts project. Won't be doing it exactly as I am supposed to be, time and money constraints (ya know) but will do what I can.

Does anyone mind?

I would love to have you join us Connie. I look forward to bugging you...I mean asking you...on progress reports. This is a portable lunch hour stitching project, yes? :)

Conniequilts 10-30-2010 07:57 AM

Yes - once I get the hearts cut :)

Originally Posted by BonniFeltz

Does anyone mind?

I would love to have you join us Connie. I look forward to bugging you...I mean asking you...on progress reports. This is a portable lunch hour stitching project, yes? :)

BonniFeltz 10-30-2010 07:59 AM

Yes - once I get the hearts cut :)

Originally Posted by BonniFeltz

Does anyone mind?

Can't wait to see your fabrics.

Kappy 10-30-2010 08:09 AM

I am about to attempt a quilt that will have some applique on it. I'm not very good with hand stitching, but did watch a tut that used an iron on fusing technique in which you sewed the pieces right sides together, made a little slit for an opening in the interfacing, then turned it right side out and pressed it onto the finished block. Has anyone done this? Forgot to mention that after you have turned and pressed in place, you stitch around it. Mine will definitely be stitched via the sewing machine. ;-)

BonniFeltz 10-30-2010 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kappy
I am about to attempt a quilt that will have some applique on it. I'm not very good with hand stitching, but did watch a tut that used an iron on fusing technique in which you sewed the pieces right sides together, made a little slit for an opening in the interfacing, then turned it right side out and pressed it onto the finished block. Has anyone done this? Forgot to mention that after you have turned and pressed in place, you stitch around it. Mine will definitely be stitched via the sewing machine. ;-)

that is similar to what somebody told me to try with using fabric sheets. I have tried it with fabric sheets as interfacing but that is about it. I actually don't normally use interfacing so am not too much help.

I will mention that if you use something like heat n bond and you get it on your ironing board and/or iron, iron a fabric softner sheet (like for the dryer). It takes it out and cleans it up.

Kappy 10-30-2010 08:31 AM

I will mention that if you use something like heat n bond and you get it on your ironing board and/or iron, iron a fabric softner sheet (like for the dryer). It takes it out and cleans it up.[/quote]

What a neat tip. I'm sure I'll need it. Thanks :lol:

BonniFeltz 10-30-2010 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kappy
I will mention that if you use something like heat n bond and you get it on your ironing board and/or iron, iron a fabric softner sheet (like for the dryer). It takes it out and cleans it up.

What a neat tip. I'm sure I'll need it. Thanks :lol:[/quote]

LOL. I found this out the hard way. I was ironing on top of a towel (that was on the ironing board) and had the fusing sheets facing wrong side down so the towel got the sticky fusible stuff on it. I tried this suggestion (can't remember who suggested it but thank you!). I put a dryer sheet down on top of the sticky stuff on the towel and started to iron it. It didn't take long for it to all come up. Glad that nobody saw the expression on my face. It must have been priceless because I didn't think it would work. :)

ukdame 10-31-2010 08:20 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ukdame
I noticed the seam turn also but maybe because it is on a white background. I made mine 1/4 inch but all the books I read say 3/16th. I have not seen any rulers that show sixteens. Who came up w/that crazy measurement?

I finally completed my baby grandson to be's airplane applique quilt. I still have to do the same.But I want to embroider his name once I know it. Since I hand drew all the airplane features I may just do an outline of a plane for the pillow. I used cotton batting ( quilters dream ) which I think was a bit thin.

my3furryfriends 10-31-2010 08:25 AM

Love, love, love appliqueing....been doing that since way back when. I also love to puff-applique with batting, gives your project a "jumping-out-of-the-picture" look to it. I think I started out long time ago when sewing photo album covers were in vogue. Of course now no one I know would accept one even if you gave it to them, esp. with this digital age.