Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Awful mistake--almost (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/awful-mistake-almost-t219675.html)

catmcclure 04-23-2013 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by grandjan (Post 6017381)
I have to share this with you. I had just put a king-sized quilt in my longarm--120 inches--and was fiddling with the batting because the size is going to be very close. I stepped back to take another look and realized that I had set a block in wrong way around--right in the middle of the quilt. I've been looking at this quilt for weeks and am still puzzled at how I could have done this and how it got past me. But it did. I had to unpin one end, unstitch the block and then handstitch it back into the quilt. Fortunately, it turned out fine and you would never know. I'm just so relieved that I saw it before I got the quilt half quilted.

I have the collection of "Greatest Quilts of 19__". The photo of one quilt is gorgeous, but right in the middle of the photograph is a block turned the wrong way.

peppermint31 04-23-2013 07:29 AM

happened to me too! I had the top on a display board for about a week when I noticed one block turned:(. I agree that taking a picture works really well to find errors
Patricia

roserips 04-23-2013 07:35 AM

I think that happens more often than you think to all of us.

MargeD 04-23-2013 07:49 AM

I'm sure you're thrilled that you caught it in time, but of course it had to be in the middle of the quilt - Murphy's Law. Been there, done that, and sometimes I don't catch it. I'm happy for you that you found it. Can we get to see a picture of the finished quilt? Looking forward to it.

caspharm 04-23-2013 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK (Post 6017625)
pictures are priceless!

I agree. It was good you found it before quilting.

sulyle 04-23-2013 08:29 AM

Good save. I try to take a digital pic when the top is done before quilting. It makes it easier to see mistakes. Isn't it odd that we can work on a quilt for weeks and never see those little oops until we step back?

LindaR 04-23-2013 09:24 AM

we had a guild auction quilt we had made and when they held it up I saw the block and said WOW...can't you guys see that...it was almost at the quilters too...

Scakes 04-23-2013 02:35 PM

I almost always take photos of the quilt top. Seems like it is easier to see mistakes.

mindless 04-23-2013 04:23 PM

aaargh! been there too! my oops was a memory quilt. pics of the recipients family....well all but one anyway. it was pointed out to me after it was quilted....after I gave it to her. :eek: but I got lucky. the alien pic was in a corner....fairly easy (ha!) to remove, replace, & requilt. Now I double check first. (almost always :confused:)

frenchfryqueen 04-24-2013 10:31 AM

My quilting is of course perfect, but still my hubby always proofs my work as I go. I get so mad at him for finding mistakes those little elves make! lol! If only.