Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Baby Quilt Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/baby-quilt-question-t272859.html)

ManiacQuilter2 12-02-2015 06:22 AM

That is an interesting question. I think pinning a note on the quilt will be the way I go. My church group make quilts for single women who decide to keep their baby. I just finished piecing one. Thanks for the great idea Tartan. I live in an apt and don't have easy access to a W/D

Jo Anne B. 12-02-2015 06:54 AM

My neighbor used All Free for her two babies from day 1, so that I what I use for baby quilts as well as our clothes. Both myself and hubby can have sensitive skin issues and have no complaints here.

carslo 12-02-2015 07:25 AM

I just gave a quilt away this weekend. I washed it and tied a bow on it and gave it to the expecting couple. I didn't worry about it being washed and they were thrilled.

matraina 12-02-2015 04:30 PM

When my kids were little, I washed their clothes in Dreft. When they didn't need it anymore, I finished the box on my husband's and my clothes. Worked fine, so you don't have to worry about waste.

Jannie 12-02-2015 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by dd (Post 7391682)
I never used anything special for my children. I always used either Tide or Cheer. I always wash my quilts before I give them. When I get anything new, gift or from store, I always wash it first. Never know where it's been. I figure it's the parents responsibility to take care of things for their children.

Me too. All my babies survived using the regular soap I used on everything else. The only thing I did was if the baby got diaper rash, I would rinse the diapers out with vinegar. Vinegar seems to remove the last trace of soap.

JANNY 12-07-2015 07:48 AM

If I don't have any markings to wash out, I just wash in warm water and tell the parents that it has been washed. I use just a little regular tide if I have markings to wash out, which is rare on my baby quilts anyway..

Irishrose2 12-07-2015 01:56 PM

I think washing the quilt in any decent detergent is fine (I use Cheer). I do like that my top loader uses a lot to water for rinsing. No fabric softener needed because the last thing I want is a slippery quilt. I cringe when I visit a new mother in the hospital (the babies are in the mother's room here) and the room is full of friends standing around in their outdoor coats, some smelling of smoke. What happened to 2 visitors at a time and no one touching the baby except the parents and hospital staff?

purplefiend 12-09-2015 10:21 AM

I use All Free & Clear for all of my laundry, babies don't break out from it.

quilting cat 12-11-2015 09:33 AM

Does your usual detergent come in a "free of perfumes and dyes" version? Then you could use the rest of it as usual, and it would still be safe for a baby. Since you always wash a quilt, try this!

quiltlady1941 12-13-2015 01:07 PM

I make a lot of quilts for our hospital and I always wash them in what ever detergent I have but don't use fabric softener, The hospital ask me not to use fabric softener as some babies may have a reaction to this.. I would say any detergent would be fine.. good luck on your quilt