Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   background fabric to 1930`s prints advice needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/background-fabric-1930%60s-prints-advice-needed-t41980.html)

zz-pd 04-09-2010 09:56 PM

sorry I ant help you out. Penny

Shorebird 04-10-2010 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by quilter girl
I used yellow - think it was used alot in the 30's for background fabric.

This one is BEAUTIFUL! I really like the 30's prints...reminds me of several items my Grandmother had.

Sew and Sew 04-11-2010 11:48 AM

I love 1930's reproduction fabric. I did put a picture of one I did of the block of the months quilt on this quorum. I hope I am poshttp://www.quiltingboard.com/t-19175-1.htmting it's link correctly.

Eddie 04-11-2010 11:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi granny_59,

I've only made a few quilts with 1930s repros so far, but intend to do many more. :) Here's a few to give you some ideas:

Bow tie pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]53472[/ATTACH]

Miniature quilt - 9 patch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]53473[/ATTACH]

doll quilt - 4 patch with hour glass blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]53474[/ATTACH]

sewmom 04-11-2010 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by sewmom
i love the 30's prints too and i bought a jelly roll and then some yardage for the border and vines. i used white as a background color, but there are a lot of other solids that would work as well. i may have posted a picture on this board somewhere,but not sure where. i'm not home or i would take another picture and post it.

i scanned this from my scrapbook, but at least you can see it. i love it with the white fabric, but i think the pink, green or yellow would be very striking-your preference. i designed this myself, but sent it out to be LAQ

granny_59 04-11-2010 10:43 PM

boah, they are all so pretty!
Sewmom: how did you make that border? Is it needleturn applique?
Btw, I will go for offwhite background anyway and give the cats away.........................JOKE, DH would kill me :mrgreen:
I just like it best with white.

Granny

Rachelcb80 04-12-2010 03:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Rexene
Rachel, Your 30's quilt is beautiful. I love the prairie points! Are the points sewn to the back of the quilt top before you add the border?

I sewed the praire points on after sewing that first narrow border. I basted them with their raw edge on the raw edge of the narrow border, their points facing towards the middle of the quilt. Then I sewed the wide border on over the basting and pressed them and the wide border open.

I hope that all made sense and answered your question! :)

Closer picture of praire points
[ATTACH=CONFIG]53867[/ATTACH]

Rachelcb80 04-12-2010 03:35 AM

I just LOVE all the quilts posted! Eddie, lovely job as always! :)

Last week I ordered a book from Amazon called Granny Quilts by Darlene Zimmerman. It came in the mail this weekend and I love every quilt pattern in it. If anyone's looking for a good book that focuses on nothing but 30's quilts, I can't suggest this one enough!

msquilter59 04-12-2010 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
nice job ladies! love the quilts!

i have a bunch of 30's prints..washtub fabrics are what they are called in one shop.
www.annalena.com has them..most LQS' have them too..along with the solids to match.
the white i have used with these prints.is Kona "Snow" white..i got at Joanns.
i got 25 FQ's for $25 bucks on sale at Anna Lena a few years ago.which started my love for them!
the best and cheapest way would be to do a swap of FQ's!

I'd be interested in a 30's FQ swap!

Eddie 04-12-2010 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by msquilter59

Originally Posted by watterstide
nice job ladies! love the quilts!

i have a bunch of 30's prints..washtub fabrics are what they are called in one shop.
www.annalena.com has them..most LQS' have them too..along with the solids to match.
the white i have used with these prints.is Kona "Snow" white..i got at Joanns.
i got 25 FQ's for $25 bucks on sale at Anna Lena a few years ago.which started my love for them!
the best and cheapest way would be to do a swap of FQ's!

I'd be interested in a 30's FQ swap!

Me, too!