Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Backstitching on blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/backstitching-blocks-t190378.html)

tngal22 05-30-2012 06:07 PM

I see everyone's point about not backstitching but my brain keeps saying "YOU MUST BACKSTITCH!" lol. I wonder if I could win the battle against my brain on this one? Only time will tell. lol Now to try to finish up some stitching on my blocks. Almost ready to start the layout of them!

scraphq 05-30-2012 08:03 PM

No back stitching here. I try to leave about a 1/4 of thread hanging. I hate those tiny knobs the backstitching makes. Have never had any problem with edges of seams opening.

Silver Needle 05-30-2012 08:10 PM

We just started collecting vintage machines and I love sewing with them. But most don't even have a backstitch option. I just use smaller stitch length and start out on a scrap of fabric before proceeding with chain piecing.

burchquilts 05-30-2012 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Havplenty (Post 5253896)
i always backstitch. i wannna make sure my seams have the hardest time of their life trying to come apart.:)

I don't backstitch but I often sew the seam twice. I dunno... it just makes me feel more secure because I, too, want to make sure my seams have work to come apart... LOL!

BrendaK 05-30-2012 10:14 PM

I usually don't backstitch but I have been known to pull the bobbin thread up to the where the top thread is and then knot the top and bottom thread. (Long time ago Home Ec.I think) BrendaK

Cindy60545 05-31-2012 03:30 AM

I ditto feline fanatic. The next row anchors the previous stitching. I only backstitch the last row.

SandScraps 05-31-2012 03:32 AM

We were taught that backstitching puckers the fabric and that it is not necessary since the seams are strengthened when you do the cross seams. I've never checked the puckiring bit - just listened to the teacher. I also tend to leave a quarter inch of threads but that depends on the type of thread I use for piecing.

happyquiltmom 05-31-2012 03:38 AM

I never backstitch when constructing quilts. But I do when constructing garments and home dec projects.
Backstitching makes it harder to rip out mistakes, and also adds bulk to seams.

mcar 05-31-2012 03:53 AM

I have just begun a new technique as I finished a quilt because in holding squares to be sewn the ends would tend to separate....Following a suggesting on the board, I am lowering the stitch length at the beginning and at the end of the row. It just takes training to remember to switch but I do like the results. Technique:start at 1.8 and go up to 2.0 til the line reaches the end 1/2" and change to 1.8.

Wanabee Quiltin 05-31-2012 03:56 AM

I was taught to never backstitch in my first quilting class. When I read quilting books, they tell you to not backstitch. I did some backstitch for the first time on my blocks this past week when I was putting together a King size quilt. I think the heaviness of the quilt was actually pulling some of my stitches loose. First time that has ever happened since I started quilting. I can't imagine backstitching when doing all of the strip piecing I do. Would take forever. You do what you want to do, there is no quilt police coming to your house !