Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Backstitching on blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/backstitching-blocks-t190378.html)

JanieH 06-01-2012 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 5253851)
There is no need to backstitch when piecing your blocks because the stitching will be anchored when another piece is stitched to it. If we had to backstitch for all piecing that would be the death of strip style peicing and you couldn't possibly do a Bargello style quilt, no assembly line piecing ala Bonnie Hunter. I only backstitch when the final outside border goes on at the edge and when I attach my binding and am doing mitered corners.

This has been a really interesting discussion. I had never really thought about it - I guess because when I first started quilting I was "told" not to. But now I can justify why I don't do it.

funnyfarm 06-01-2012 11:46 AM

I do, especially on flannel, which I love to work with. I do the back stitch at the 1/4" area rather than right at the beginning of the seam. I just think that with the weight of the flannel, it is better to be safe.

Latrinka 06-01-2012 01:56 PM

I backstitch on everything!

tngal22 06-02-2012 06:19 AM

Even with all the good points made, I still do it. I would rather be safe than sorry. Ya'll have given some great tips and advice though, so thank you!

patchsamkim 06-02-2012 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 5253851)
There is no need to backstitch when piecing your blocks because the stitching will be anchored when another piece is stitched to it.
I only backstitch when the final outside border goes on at the edge and when I attach my binding and am doing mitered corners.

That is what I do too...never backstitch while making blocks.

bunbytes 06-02-2012 07:16 AM

I usually backstitch, especially when doing foundation quilting because I know I will have to remove the paper from the back. It just takes a second and after all that work, I'd hate to have my stitches come undone.

T-Anne 06-02-2012 07:42 AM

I set my machine up so it does it automatically always then I don't have to fuss with it.

emlee51 06-03-2012 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5253850)
I did learn that if I cut the thread right next to the fabric - that the stitching could pull out easily - that's why I sort of do a 'running' start with several stitches made before the needle hits the fabric and several stitches made after the needle is off the fabric

This is what I do, too. I do backstitch when I paper piece.

SueSew 06-03-2012 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by snipforfun (Post 5256000)
Especially with polyester thread!

Oh true, I can look at that OhSo Fine and if I leave only 1/4" at each end of the piece it LAUGHS at me and proceeds to slip right out, no matter how small a needle I use. I have to sew very close machine stiches.

But I need a little 'give' in the pieces to help my block ease into the right shape, and if I stabilized the beginning and end of each piece, I think that would be difficult.