Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Backstitching on blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/backstitching-blocks-t190378.html)

Friday1961 05-31-2012 11:58 AM

Me, too! I just posted a similar reply.

katesnanna 05-31-2012 04:07 PM

After 50+ years of sewing I do it automatically most of the time.

Gabrielle's Mimi 05-31-2012 07:00 PM

I agree with nhweaver; I drop my stitch length to 1.9 or 2.0 and that holds the seam together better than the default length of 2.5. Sometimes I use micro stitches at border ends to make sure nothing becomes unraveled while quilting.

heavenlyclouds 05-31-2012 08:50 PM

I agree with you Jennie and Me. I have been sewing for 60 years and was taught to backstitch. Then in H.S. Home ec. backstitching was reinforced. It is hard for me not to backstitch. But all I do is blocks and try to only bs. on the outer seams now.

cad_queen_2000 05-31-2012 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5254290)
I only back stitch on the final outer pieces of my blocks. I saw a tip recently that said to start your needle in about 1/4 inch from the edge and back stitch to the edge and then proceed. I like this idea since it keeps the feed dogs from eating the start of the fabric.

I also only backstictch on the outer edges of the quilt. I also like your idea of starting your needle in about 1/4, then backsticthing. I will have to try that on my next quilt. Thanks for the tip.

junegerbracht 06-01-2012 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana (Post 5255609)
I do not backstitch if it will be stitched to another piece. If I feel I need to, I just program my stitch way down at the beginning....this gives a really secure stitch that will not come out. At the end I manually take the stitch down to small stitches as well...haven't figures out a way to program this small stitch on a button.....we sure are getting lazy with all these computerized machines, arent we.....I keep telling my husband, my body and mind are slowing down so I need the latest in technology to work faster and memorize what I forget. Ha!
Diana in TX

I love your rationale!

Lucy90 06-01-2012 03:19 AM

I always backstitch as I have put blocks together and notice some seam is coming apart. It is just easier for me to backstitch and be safe.

imcraftee 06-01-2012 06:48 AM

When I'm piecing I use a smaller stitch and don't bother to back stitch unless it is on the outside where it's going to get handled a lot before I get the border on, like in a Round Robin.....otherwise, I skip it

bearisgray 06-01-2012 06:53 AM

I staystitch a pieced outer border to minimize/prevent the seams from coming apart instead of backstitching each seam in the pieced part.

gollytwo 06-01-2012 07:22 AM

I always do when I'm handpiecing. I mean to when machine piecing but often forget.
It's definitely worth doing - I'm assembling a quilt now - blocks into rows and wish I'd remembered more often.