Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batik Addicts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batik-addicts-t94303.html)

sewmom 01-28-2011 08:07 AM

I too love batiks. Although I have never made a quilt with only batik fabric, i have used them in quilts and for backings. I recently spent $80 on a batik for the back of the quilt I'm making for my bed at the lake featuring the Wind and Waves fabric. the batik had shells and starfish in it. In the future-like hopefully this year-I have plans to make a batik quilt for my DIL(who will be giving me a grandbaby this Sept.) for Christmas. And I would like to make a Bargello wallhanging for my dining room featuring all batiks. LOVE,LOVE, LOVE them!

Dkm 01-28-2011 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I love batiks and this is a laugh....I hate to cut them up. They are the best to work with when doing stain glass projects. Anytime that I have a project with the raw edge effect I always use them.

My daughter-in-law is a PA
[ATTACH=CONFIG]113550[/ATTACH]

pdunn56 01-28-2011 08:20 AM

WOW!!!! work of art, love it

pignwdw 01-28-2011 08:22 AM

I'll be leaving in about 2 weeks to go to Malaysia and plan to shop for batiks there, and possibly take a class in making batiks.

JanP 01-28-2011 08:22 AM

Count me in on the Batik Addicts club! Love your quilt!!

lllog 01-28-2011 08:38 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I love Batiks as well. In fact, we have over 150 bolts of batiks in my store. Here is some examole of how batiks make quilts pop out.

One is one of our kits, another a variation of the delectable mountain pattern using batiks, and my favorite is tumbling blocks using one Batik as the insides. They remind me of Japanese Lanturns.

Lanny

Tumbling Blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]113892[/ATTACH]

Delectable Mts
[ATTACH=CONFIG]113909[/ATTACH]

Store Sample
[ATTACH=CONFIG]113910[/ATTACH]

Ardelle Coult 01-28-2011 08:50 AM

I am a huge fan of batik and use it most of the time. What book is this pattern from? Love it, thanks for sharing.

catmcclure 01-28-2011 08:57 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I've made two major projects with batiks: A seminole patchwork jacket for my daughter and a king-size quilt.

Pat75 01-28-2011 09:00 AM

I am a batik lover like you . Save the scraps by Gale Bong has a great pattern called geese in the garden I made a king sized quilt and also I did a quilt of wonder blocks by terry Martin where the blocks are on point all of them are batiks .Now I am starting Carol Doaks Book of stars with batiks I will get a friend to get pictures and put them on the computer . I am not adept at that. The wonder block quilt was a very quick way to go and the geese one very detailed .Love what you did.

Ritacarl 01-28-2011 10:34 AM

I've seen "batiks" used a lot. Will someone please explain to me what it means. In the dictionery it says "A material printed by an Indonesian method by hand-printing textiles by coating with wax the parts not to be dyed". Sort of like those eggs I used to make. Now, I don't think that is what it is meant in quilting. Is it a whole bunch of material of the same color pallat?
Rita