Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batik Addicts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batik-addicts-t94303.html)

be a quilter 01-28-2011 12:51 PM

I absolutely love the tumbling blocks!!

Ardelle Coult 01-28-2011 01:58 PM

That log cabin quilt is stunning!! Great use of color. I love it, thanks for sharing. You have inspired me!

applique 01-28-2011 02:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Lakesidequilter, I love your color choices. Beautiful! When I started buying batiks back in the 70s they looked very different from today's batiks and they cost an outrageous $4 a yard. A lot of money back then! Here is a vest made of batiks bought in 1974.

LoveBug 01-28-2011 03:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am also a batik addict. Mostly I am very reluctant to cut into them (I'm more of a batik collector than a quilter of them) but I did work up this project last year.

perci2 01-28-2011 03:31 PM

I love batiks too! Anybody have a good pattern for balipops?

Queen Mary 01-28-2011 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by catmcclure
I've made two major projects with batiks: A seminole patchwork jacket for my daughter and a king-size quilt.

Your quilt is really a simple pattern but is magnificient with the use of the batiks. All the variations and shading give it such life. I am buying more and more batiks and fewer prints. I am loving the light tan and white batiks with stamping and imagages printed on them. There are fewer of them but some are so effective to contrast the darker ones. Mary

Queen Mary 01-28-2011 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by lakesidequilter
Me too, me too!
My recent project...

Originally Posted by LeeO123
I just want to say a really big shoutout to all Batik Addicts. I am a huge fan of Batiks. I have recently finished a 3D quilt using Batiks. It has little 3D characters that fly kites and seals and rope. It was such an exciting project.

If you love batiks let me know about your project. I just love new inspiration.

Wacky Jacky

I did a couple of Laughing Lizzy Pattern, "Woven Wire" with batiks except for the "wires" and used a couple of regular fabrics solids for them. My King size is in Kansas as my daughter's Christmas present and my newest is in the quilt show this weekend. I used mostly blues and greens where the focus fabric had ferns printed over the color. They were easy and fast and beautiful. It starts as a split rail with some pazazz added. Mary

dixiechunk 01-28-2011 04:08 PM

Love the quilt, can't imagine it in any fabrics other than batiks. I too am a huge fan of batiks, if a shop doesn't have a good selection of them I'm very disappointed. Not even going to attempt to say how many batik fabrics I have!

Sierra 01-28-2011 04:10 PM

Crazy about iris is also absolutely incredible! What an intricate work of art!

Lynn Luker 01-28-2011 04:11 PM

I have been slowly collecting batiks for the past few months. I'm considering doing a D9P with them. I thought if I did a black center (which would be cut in fourths) it would help unify as I have a wide variety of colors. I showed my fabrics to a non quilter, and she got a very funny look on her face. Will this end up being too wild? Do I need to stick with just a few colors? I have some deep tones and also a couple very lights...Any suggestions? I love looking at all your batik quilts!