Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-question-t77897.html)

sherriequilts 11-23-2010 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by RST
I do the wide zig zag, and never have any trouble with it showing through. I also use smaller pieces for little projects like bags or hotpads. I store all my scraps and strips of batting rolled up in a big zippered floor-pillow case. It's an ok pillow on a daybed, it stays clean and relatively smooth, and it's easy to find when I need it.

RST

what a great idea! I am going to do that!

ShirlinAZ 11-23-2010 08:19 AM

I never buy batting smaller than queen size. I find that is the best value for the money, and I can get several small projects from one batt. Any smaller pieces I save to sandwich practice pieces for fmq, or stuff toys and pillows.

louisebuck 11-23-2010 11:25 AM

i save mine and do pillows and baby quilts with my extra or potholder

Dar-midlife 11-23-2010 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Peggi
I went into the website for the tape, ordered 3 rolls, my zig-zag always puckers & this looks like the cat's meow!!

Yes, I have trouble too with it puckering so I had gone to hand-stitching it together (& I hate hand work!) but now I have found that tape and I love it. I would like to be able to figure out what I am doing wrong so I could stitch it. It would be more economical. Peggi, where did you order it from?

featherweight 11-23-2010 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I butt the two edges together and zigzag to join

Same thing I do. Works great for me!!

BizyStitches 11-23-2010 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by lhavelka
So I know that I am probably not the only one who has this problem. I buy queen size batting warm and natural and end up with excess. The quilt I am working on now is 66x80. The queen is 90x102. So after I cut out what I need, is there a way to put two pieces of batting together so that I dont waste all this batting? Do I sew it together or I thought of taking a piecing of fusing and ironing to together?

Any suggestions?

There is a new product out now that comes on a roll, you butt up your batting and it is a strip about 1-1/2 wide that you center over the edges and press it on. You only have to do it on one side. I saw this done at a quilt show and it felt great and looked great and a great saver. I don't remember the name of it, however I did see it at Fabric Depot in Portland, Oregon the other day. You might be able to do a search at www.fabricdepot.com

Olivia's Grammy 11-23-2010 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Up4BigChal
Buy Fusible Interfacing cut it in 2" strips and join your left over batting that way, This works great and is really an inexpensive way to use up all your scraps

This is sort of what I do. I always have fusible interfacing scraps and have found it works better than sewing it together. I used to do the wavy cut and hand sew it together with long stitches. I like the fusible the best.

patsyo56721 11-23-2010 02:11 PM

I butt the two edges together and zigzag. I have only done this on small items not on a fulll size quilt.

Momof3Es 11-23-2010 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by RST
I do the wide zig zag, and never have any trouble with it showing through. I also use smaller pieces for little projects like bags or hotpads. I store all my scraps and strips of batting rolled up in a big zippered floor-pillow case. It's an ok pillow on a daybed, it stays clean and relatively smooth, and it's easy to find when I need it.

RST

I love that idea!

Mae 11-23-2010 02:59 PM

I cut both pieces together with my rulers butted up in a straight across the entire seam I plan to sew. I pin the join together with a very small overlap (just enough to pin) with the points of the pins facing toward the needle and the smaller width of batting on the right. I butt the edges together as I sew with a three stitch zigzag (5 width stitch). As long as the cut is perfectly straight and both pieces can move together, there is NO bunching or puckering. It lays perfectly flat and the join is undetectable to the touch.