Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Batting question

So I know that I am probably not the only one who has this problem. I buy queen size batting warm and natural and end up with excess. The quilt I am working on now is 66x80. The queen is 90x102. So after I cut out what I need, is there a way to put two pieces of batting together so that I dont waste all this batting? Do I sew it together or I thought of taking a piecing of fusing and ironing to together?

Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    I butt the two edges together and zigzag to join

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I butt the edges together and use a zig zag stitch to hold it together. I've heard of some people using some type of fusible to do it also.

Blog Entries
    I zig zag stitch mine. works wonderfully.

Or I use my small pieces in my miniature quilts.

I definitely thought about zig zagging it together but I didnt know if it would show a seam in the quilt.

overlap two pieces and cut with rotary cutter in a smooth large wave and zig zag together by butting the pieces together not overlapping the edges. never shows through.
    THEN there is the fusiable joining, either with the new tape you can buy or I have cut thin strips of fusiable web and used that for wall hangings.

RST
    Blog Entries
    I do the wide zig zag, and never have any trouble with it showing through. I also use smaller pieces for little projects like bags or hotpads. I store all my scraps and strips of batting rolled up in a big zippered floor-pillow case. It's an ok pillow on a daybed, it stays clean and relatively smooth, and it's easy to find when I need it.

RST

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Me too.

mim
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Me too.
    sometimes, if it is a wall hanging, i will hand sew a tailors baste stitch. I like the idea of a wavy cut and zig zag with the largest stitch. I use mostly fiberfill because of allergies in people I give t that is easy to but and baste

Mim in very cold tonite Maine

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    overlap two pieces and cut with rotary cutter in a smooth large wave and zig zag together by butting the pieces together not overlapping the edges. never shows through.
    THEN there is the fusiable joining, either with the new tape you can buy or I have cut thin strips of fusiable web and used that for wall hangings.
    You know, I've been quilting for decades and butting batting for much of that time, but it never occurred to me straighten the dang edge like you describe! An old wallpaperer's trick; can't believe I didn't apply it here, LOL! :mrgreen:

Love this board!
    Jan in VA

I use a lot of my extra batting in rag quilts. Small pices to large ones. I have sewn it together and used in bigger projects too. I haven't had any problems.

Zigzag for me too! Works great - never had a problem with it in a finished quilt

Here's the web site to the iron on tape for putting batting together.. It really does work great!! I quilt for others and almost always when they zig/zag the batting together it either has holes or it puckers..this works great!!
    http://www.heatpressbattingtogether.com/
    Judy

Blog Entries
    I like to overlap my batting pieces and make a wavy cut, removing the short pieces and hand basting the butted edges. I find zig-zag stitching compresses the batting more than I like. I haven't used the product made for fusing batting together, but I like to hand quilt and wonder if that would make the batting harder to quilt in the fused area?

Blog Entries
    I don't butt them together, but I overlap them by about 1/2". Then I use my fingers to pull the edge for I pull out enough "fluff" to make the edges feather out. I do that on the front and the back. By the time I'm done, there is no noticeable bump in the quilt and I KNOW it's not going to come apart.

Blog Entries
    I butt them together and zig zag. It comes out fine especially after you machine quilt whatever you use it in. I put a whole bunch of strips together side by side that I had left from trimming and used the piece for potholders or hot mats. Can't waiste that stuff you know. Yes it is COLD her in Maine.

Blog Entries
    I like to use a zig zag stitch, make it loose, adjust your tension so that the stitches don't sink clear into it :D:D:D

I went into the website for the tape, ordered 3 rolls, my zig-zag always puckers & this looks like the cat's meow!!

Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    This is how i cut them, too. Butt the edges, too, but I do a hand baste rather than a machine stitch as it give it less of a visible line. I mostly save the leftovers for tablerunners.

Buy Fusible Interfacing cut it in 2" strips and join your left over batting that way, This works great and is really an inexpensive way to use up all your scraps

Quote Originally Posted by RST
    I do the wide zig zag, and never have any trouble with it showing through. I also use smaller pieces for little projects like bags or hotpads. I store all my scraps and strips of batting rolled up in a big zippered floor-pillow case. It's an ok pillow on a daybed, it stays clean and relatively smooth, and it's easy to find when I need it.

RST
    what a great idea! I am going to do that!

I never buy batting smaller than queen size. I find that is the best value for the money, and I can get several small projects from one batt. Any smaller pieces I save to sandwich practice pieces for fmq, or stuff toys and pillows.

i save mine and do pillows and baby quilts with my extra or potholder

Quote Originally Posted by Peggi
    I went into the website for the tape, ordered 3 rolls, my zig-zag always puckers & this looks like the cat's meow!!
    Yes, I have trouble too with it puckering so I had gone to hand-stitching it together (& I hate hand work!) but now I have found that tape and I love it. I would like to be able to figure out what I am doing wrong so I could stitch it. It would be more economical. Peggi, where did you order it from?

Same thing I do. Works great for me!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast