Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-question-t77897.html)

lhavelka 11-21-2010 06:13 PM

So I know that I am probably not the only one who has this problem. I buy queen size batting warm and natural and end up with excess. The quilt I am working on now is 66x80. The queen is 90x102. So after I cut out what I need, is there a way to put two pieces of batting together so that I dont waste all this batting? Do I sew it together or I thought of taking a piecing of fusing and ironing to together?

Any suggestions?

erstan947 11-21-2010 06:15 PM

I butt the two edges together and zigzag to join

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-21-2010 06:16 PM

I butt the edges together and use a zig zag stitch to hold it together. I've heard of some people using some type of fusible to do it also.

Jennifer22206 11-21-2010 06:18 PM

I zig zag stitch mine. works wonderfully.

Or I use my small pieces in my miniature quilts.

lhavelka 11-21-2010 06:19 PM

I definitely thought about zig zagging it together but I didnt know if it would show a seam in the quilt.

brushandthimble 11-21-2010 06:28 PM

overlap two pieces and cut with rotary cutter in a smooth large wave and zig zag together by butting the pieces together not overlapping the edges. never shows through.
THEN there is the fusiable joining, either with the new tape you can buy or I have cut thin strips of fusiable web and used that for wall hangings.

RST 11-21-2010 06:34 PM

I do the wide zig zag, and never have any trouble with it showing through. I also use smaller pieces for little projects like bags or hotpads. I store all my scraps and strips of batting rolled up in a big zippered floor-pillow case. It's an ok pillow on a daybed, it stays clean and relatively smooth, and it's easy to find when I need it.

RST

sueisallaboutquilts 11-21-2010 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947

Me too.

mim 11-21-2010 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts

Originally Posted by erstan947

Me too.

sometimes, if it is a wall hanging, i will hand sew a tailors baste stitch. I like the idea of a wavy cut and zig zag with the largest stitch. I use mostly fiberfill because of allergies in people I give t that is easy to but and baste

Mim in very cold tonite Maine

Jan in VA 11-21-2010 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
overlap two pieces and cut with rotary cutter in a smooth large wave and zig zag together by butting the pieces together not overlapping the edges. never shows through.
THEN there is the fusiable joining, either with the new tape you can buy or I have cut thin strips of fusiable web and used that for wall hangings.

You know, I've been quilting for decades and butting batting for much of that time, but it never occurred to me straighten the dang edge like you describe! An old wallpaperer's trick; can't believe I didn't apply it here, LOL! :mrgreen:

Love this board!
Jan in VA