Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Beginning quilt classes that want perfection!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/beginning-quilt-classes-want-perfection-t166598.html)

Wingsofjoy 11-11-2011 03:58 AM

I have heard that the Amish intentionally make a mistake in their quilts. Their thoughts on that is that only God should be perfect. I have repaired some quilts and if there is a flaw in the quilt I keep it. I feel that I would be removing part of the personality of the person that quilted it.

lillybeck 11-11-2011 07:03 AM

Teaching someone to quilt is like teaching a pre schooler to write. It is never going to look just like yours. I think they should have complained from the start and ask for a refund or a different teacher. I would have just given up and never went to another class. I get enough critisim in this world without someone expecting me to be a perfect quilter. Keep on keeping on. Your quilts will be yours no matter how they look to others. My family has a game of trying to find the mistake I always leave in mine. LOL

Digitizingqueen 11-11-2011 07:37 AM

every teacher teaches differntly - this person probably doent understand that small mistakes or (imperfections to her perfection ) discourge people form sewing/quilting if all of her seams are that way then all of her seams are that way .... it isnt a problem I hope she is able ot find another instructor who is better at teaching newbys and not a discourging self-proclaimed quilt police person

Sandra-P 11-11-2011 09:26 AM

There are quilt teachers here that are not like that. As someone already said, there are people who can quilt, but not always able to teach. PM me and I can give you some names of shops and teachers who are good for beginning quilters. Also there is a great quilting guild I belong to that is a teaching guild where she would be warmly welcomed.

TX GMimi 11-11-2011 01:18 PM

please tell your SIL not to give up! that teacher should not be teaching...anyone!!!!

only machine are perfect - and sometimes they mess up!

Pinklady 11-11-2011 05:04 PM

Wow, I can't believe people can't understand how hard it is for some to catch on quickly, and work with them so they can learn, not quit what they so want to do.

Phyl 11-18-2011 02:42 PM

OMG!! I am teaching a beginner/intermediate class and the theme, for me, is ENCOURAGE, ENCOURAGE, ENCOURAGE!!!! When I see mistakes, I know what to teach again, politely, as an aside the following week so as not to make it so glaring. I use the last 1/2 hour of each class to review basics in general. As a matter of fact, we are all, including myself, bringing in our first quilts and things to see how beautifully we have grown. I love my first quilts. They are misshappen, mismatched, missing good points and are the loves of my life!!! Poor sister! Give her hugs and advise her to get to another class soon!