Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Beginning quilt classes that want perfection!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/beginning-quilt-classes-want-perfection-t166598.html)

margee 11-09-2011 06:32 AM

I am so fortunate to have had thoughtful, caring teachers helping me to learn. We started with a small project, were told about doing a correct seam and how to do that and sew pieces together properly. We were encouraged and gently shown how to correct a mistake. I came away knowing it's important to do things "correctly" but to be able to enjoy the experience of the "doing". Even when I couldn't hear them well because of broken hearing aids they were patient and how much more enjoyable a class is now that I can hear well and participate.
My LQS is The Fabric Center in Morris, Ilinois. The staff and classes and fabrics are great!!!

margee

thevintageseamstress 11-09-2011 06:54 AM

well that settles it for me, was thinking of trying a guild but i would not fit in, I try not to make mistakes but I always do, when something turns out really good I just can't get over it! lol

barblr 11-09-2011 07:05 AM

I so agree!!

jmabby 11-09-2011 07:09 AM

I would struggle through the class and try to learn other good points being taught, but I would talk to the owner or head person signing up the instructors and express my feelings.

huntannette 11-09-2011 07:16 AM

now that would be a fun class.....

Originally Posted by Quiltersbox (Post 4645733)
I teach classes and label them as Beginner, Beginner+(a person who has made a quilt or two) and advanced.
Often the beginner classes have students who have never quilted and I show them how to use the rotary cutter and cut before we start to sew. The classes are longer and I spend more time with them. There is always "homework" because this is where they will be doing most of their projects.
We talk about and I show them how to do the 1/4" seam allowance. It's very important, but, when doing a beginner pattern, such as QIAD Log Cabin, I feel it's most important that the seam allowance be consistent. The blocks will be smaller, and we adapt.
Not everyone invests in a the 1/4" piecing foot right away. They usually purchase one once they see the value of it or have cash flow. It all comes with practice.
If a seam needs to be ripped, I help.
It is never appropriate to be condescending to anyone in the class because we are supposed to be having fun.

barbb baumgardner 11-09-2011 04:24 PM

When I first began quilting, I had a perfectionist friend. She made me unsew a few times. But, she did not make me feel like a doof. She really helped me do a better job for the more complicated blocks. I am super-critical enough of my own work anyway. My husband keeps reminding me..."it's only a quilt, it is made to be used and enjoyed. No one will be as critical of your work as you are! Relax and enjoy it." He is right! So tell your friend to RELAX. She will discover why she needs to be more careful of her seams as she continues to sew.

barbb baumgardner 11-09-2011 04:28 PM

Oh, Vintageseamstress, don't think all guilds are as described here. My guild is so much fun. We are not the Quilt Police, we enjoy seeing each other's work and it inspires us to 'show n tell'. We also do charity quilts, a very satisfying activity.

Doodle Bug 11-09-2011 05:46 PM

Darn. Such a bad experience with a class is so discouraging. Not all quilting teachers are like that. I have been lucky to have had good experiences with quilting classes. I hope someone told the shop owner what happened. Hopefully your SIL will have a better experience with some other teacher.

ging10ging 11-09-2011 06:03 PM

It sounds like it's a very stressful class and maybe not worth going to she might do better on her own or go to another class. Does she have anyone who can help her on her own? Tell her not to get to upset that kind of class sounds like it would discourage you from wanting to continue. Good Luck to her. Sue

sew1096 11-10-2011 10:38 PM

One of the first classes I took at a LQS was just like this. The teacher would hold up your piece and ridicule your mistakes. I never finished the class or the quilt. Luckily I knew I wanted to quilt so continued on my own with books.

I recently signed up again at this same LQS & teacher (a friend wanted me to go with her) and the teacher is still the same. Even though I am not a beginner anymore and so she doesn't single me out I am making the quilt on my own again because I can't stand listening to her quilt police talk.