Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Beginning quilt classes that want perfection!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/beginning-quilt-classes-want-perfection-t166598.html)

annesthreads 11-07-2011 12:15 AM

I was put off sewing for over 40 years by a discouraging teacher at school. Then a friend insisted that I could make a quilt. I laughed at her, but had a go. Thanks to her encouragement and natural teaching skills, I made one - and have made many more since. I still find classes difficult: I don't find it easy to learn new practical skills, and can panic if I feel I'm falling behind the rest of the class. For that reason I tend to stick to Quilt University and this board for my learning, though I did go to a brilliant day on free motion quilting recently, taken by an ex school teacher who had planned the day well and was able to cope with the very different skill levels among the group.
Accuracy IS important, but learning curves have to be allowed too!

granny216 11-07-2011 02:26 AM

Goodness, this drives me wild...Beginner class and they want you to do it perfect. Well, how long is that class? Forever? I wonder what the pattern was or was it a sampler? Sometimes things don't fit together perfect so teach them a simple pattern. I did strive to make things perfect when I started and still do but I am not perfect. I'ms sure if someone goes over my quilts with a critical eye they will find something wrong....ie: that color doesn't belong with the others (but I like it), Oh my goodness the points don't match exactly...on and on. I make quilts to enjoy my way. You can teach me the "right" way but many teachers as I've had over the years have told us in classes...sit back and relax. This is what it should look like but we are human. So I put that tweak in an applique piece or turn a corner different from the others..I wanted it that way! Making a quilt is not a race and the "quilt police" can say what they want.

carolaug 11-07-2011 02:59 AM

I went to one class and had the same experience...not only ripping them out. I also have the 1/4 foot. there was only one other girl in my class and she had taken this class Three times and did all of her stuff at home. She was only there to be social which is fine but she kept saying we only have one more class after only 3 - the other issue was the classes were not everyweek sometimes two weeks apart sometimes 3 I stopped going and my unfinished top is in the closet. that was my one and only class I attempted. There are better teachers here on this board and friendly.

Joy Higdon 11-07-2011 03:44 AM

If I had to be perfect I would not have made hundreds of quilts in my 70 years of quilting.

noveltyjunkie 11-07-2011 03:44 AM

I am impressed that w have got to page 4 and no one has mentioned the urban myth about ancient beliefs about no mortal being perfect. Are we debunking that one?!

Panchita 11-07-2011 04:02 AM

I disagree that perfection is the primary aim in quilting. Enjoyment is the primary aim in quilting (I'm assuming no-one here quilts because without it their family would not have bed clothes).

Sure, aim for perfection, there is nothing wrong with that, but not to the exclusion of everything else.

A good teacher should be able to tell the difference between someone who is doing their best, not getting perfection, but is OK with the learning experience, and someone who is not getting perfection and is therefore getting discouraged.

For a beginners class encouragement should be the order of the day - whether that is in relation to the 'can't see it from a galloping horse' category or the 'try again but do it this way' category.

It doesn't sound as if your SIL is getting the encouragement she needs, so I would vote for finding another class and/or send her here!!!

gailinva 11-07-2011 04:12 AM

Wow!!! She needs to try a different shop.

pearlnearl 11-07-2011 04:47 AM

Why would you want a perfect quilt, isnt that the beauty of it.

Jo Belmont 11-07-2011 05:06 AM

Good news! There are two quilting groups in nearby Rio Rancho (13 miles from Albuquerque) besides the two in Albuquerque (one being for long-armers). I got that information from: http://www.quiltguilds.com/new-mexico.htm
where she might find some other nearby areas.

Also, tell her to avail herself of the many basic instructional videos online, particularly those at Missouri Star Quilt Company (YouTube).

In parting, remember the term "Wabi Sabi," A Japanese term indicating beauty in imperfection ...

This little ditty by Leonard Cohen comes to mind:

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There's a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

My first quilt went on the dogs' bed. They loved it! I hope she learns to simply enjoy the journey.

lovelyl 11-07-2011 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by lynnegreen (Post 4642478)
My first quilt teacher was like that, and, unfortunately my Mom was in the class and she does not, I repeat, does not follow directions well. The teacher was beside herself. She wasn't much of a warm and cuddly person to begin with, had just published a quilt book that became very popular, and admitted she was only teaching the class because she had commited to this one last one. By the time the six or so weeks of class were over you could tell she could barely look at my Mom, as well as another lady who was a bit of a challenge as well. On the last nigth of class someone asked if there were any guilds or clubs for quilting and the teachers response was "yes, but they are not for people like this group, they are for real quilters". I just about gave up on quilting, but, I already knew I was bitten with the bug, and fortunately, my Mom convinced me that we should try another class with a different teacher. She was right, the next class was a dream, despite my Mom being the problem child...... again...LOL

What an awful experience for you and your mom! Actually for the whole class. I hope I never purchased her book - that is no way to treat someone who is paying for your services!