Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best paper for sewing through? What rips off easiest? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-paper-sewing-through-what-rips-off-easiest-t35255.html)

annmarie 01-28-2010 06:39 AM

I'm an avid paperpiecer & have tried many different papers & find Carol Doaks to be the best - prints great, easy to see thru to line up the fabric, folds easily right on the line, & tears easy too.

gaigai 01-28-2010 06:44 AM

I follow Brenda Henning (Mariner's Compass) advice and just use regular copy paper. But I set my stitch length at 1.5. I haven't had any problems, even with the miniature that I did for the Sept. DQ swap. I think it's the stitch length that makes the difference. Also, using Brenda's method, you don't cross intersections more than once, you stop and start directly on a line. That prevents those *#*%@ Y-seams that are a witch to get out.

Esqmommy 01-28-2010 06:46 AM

I'm a fan of the velum...it's the way to go in my book. You can see right thru it, it holds as long as you need it, you can re-sew if you make a mistake, and it comes out quite easily.

nanamoe 01-28-2010 06:54 AM

I use a roll from the doctor's office. the kind they use on the examining tables.

Quiltin'Lady 01-28-2010 07:30 AM

I've tried using typing/copy paper several times and always go back to super-light interfacing (bought on sale in a big roll). You can draw/trace on it easily and it tears away without problem.

Most of what I make are wall quilts, so I generally don't even bother to take it out when I'm done! At the very least, I leave it in until I've joined the paper-pieced segment to its neighboring plain piece.

Haven't tried running it through the printer yet, but I bet it wouldn't be an issue -- particularly if you ironed it to a piece of freezer paper first.

Feathers 01-28-2010 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum
I'm using tracing paper. sandpat has mentioned Vellum. The tracing paper is working okay--but it's stronger than it needs to be and can loosen stitches, so I'd like something even thinner and easier to tear. Suggestions?

The best paper I've found is from a prospectus booklet we get from Putnam Trust...it's almost like onion skin paper and just tears off so easily and as a second benefit, it's a great way to RECYLE these inch thick booklets that are full of info that I DO NOT read so in the past have ended up in the trash. I think you could probably get one of these prospectus booklets from any stock broker in your area....I'm sure they have lots of them and would be glad to give you one or a dozen???

Bluphrog 01-28-2010 08:14 AM

If you're using this for paper piecing, June Tailor makes a non-woven foundation that goes through the copier just fine and doesn't need to be removed. The nice thing is that you can see the lines from both sides. It comes in packs of 25 sheets. I found it at WalMart in their sewing section.

bstanbro 01-28-2010 08:17 AM

I just use regular computer paper. Maybe there's something better, but it works fine for me. I haven't felt a need to look for something better.

weezie 01-28-2010 08:26 AM

I like Charlee's idea of using parchment paper. Several years ago, when I bought a paper piecing book, I also bought a pack of "paper piecing" paper ... I think I ordered both from Nancy's Notions catalog. Anyway, I can't find the pack of paper this morning, but I did find the book with a sliver of the paper stuck inside of it; the sliver looks like vellum. Paper piecing and I did not do well together, so I only did a few blocks but I recall that paper worked o.k. To me, it looks just like parchment paper.

minnow895 01-28-2010 08:44 AM

i have found at times if i go to the local news paper i can buy news print rools for penniews on the dollar i do have to trace the pieces but for larg patterns it is great