Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bias Tape Maker (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bias-tape-maker-t151187.html)

sarahrachel 09-08-2011 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by mar32428

Originally Posted by Lori S
I really like the non-mechanical simple bias tape makers that Clover has .. simple .. effective .. and inexpensive .. they come in many sizes. They do have them at JoAnn's.
http://www.clover-usa.com/product/26...as_Tape_Makers

I've had these for years in all sizes and find them very useful. Great for clothes.

I have one, or rather my mom does in all her sewing things that I use, but have no idea how to use it. Could you maybe give an explanation on how to use it?? thanks!

Becky Mc 09-08-2011 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaK

Originally Posted by Lori S
I really like the non-mechanical simple bias tape makers that Clover has .. simple .. effective .. and inexpensive .. they come in many sizes. They do have them at JoAnn's.
http://www.clover-usa.com/product/26...as_Tape_Makers

This is what I use and I have been very pleased with them. BrendaK

Same for me I have even used stright grain cut binding to do gentle curves with no problems

patdesign 09-08-2011 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca
If my quilts are square/rectangular, I don't bother cutting bias tape - I just cut it on the straight grain and fold it in half before sewing it to the edge and folding over. I'll cut bias tape only if my edges are curvy.

Ditto, also have the tape maker, havent used it since purchased. :-D

watson's mom 09-08-2011 05:26 AM

I don't have one but my sewing group (we met last nite) was discussing this very thing! Most of them have it, got it at Joann's and they LOVE it. I think it is a bit pricey and really can get along without it. I use WOF strips and have never had a problem but then I have never done curved borders. I use the Clover one if I need bias tape.

SheriR 09-08-2011 05:34 AM

My daughter and I got one at walmart for like $60. The hardest part is cutting the strips. No ironing or folding involved the little toy does it all. DD used it for bias to join some hoop blocks. It was sooo cool to watch. I'm sure it will get used enough to make it worth it.

wyogrannie 09-08-2011 05:52 AM

quote=marytoddliz]I thought if I checked on the terms of use I would find what all the terms mean... not! so where do I find out what the abrevations mean?? (I know for you keeping track that makes question #3)[/quote]

Great question! I wish someome would post a list for us to copy!

joanie229 09-08-2011 05:53 AM

Much easier to cut on the straight of grain and fold in half. unless your quilt is curvy

vickig626 09-08-2011 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by marytoddliz

If my quilts are square/rectangular, I don't bother cutting bias tape - I just cut it on the straight grain and fold it in half before sewing it to the edge and folding over. I'll cut bias tape only if my edges are curvy.

I was using Bias tape because for some reason I thought it had to be Bias tape! I will, if I am making a quilt for a grand child or relative use grain cut fabric out of backing or one of my borders. I thought Bias tape for customers! I am really glad to know that it is not necessary! Thanks

I never use the traditional bias binding on any quilt. My understanding is to use the french fold method for more protection of the outside edge of the quilt -- 2 layers of fabric instead of 1 along that edge.

star619 09-08-2011 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt

Originally Posted by dd
So why does cutting the same fabric on the bias make it last longer than on the straight of grain? I don't understand that one.

If the quilt lover wears a hole somewhere on the binding.....
Bias binding does not unravel if it frays - easier to darn. On the other hand straight binding would unravel and 'split' from one end to the other with little encouragement - would probably have to be replaced.

Another possibility, offered by a teacher in class in 1982, was that if a quilt was going to be seriously used (especially by a guy with chin hair (cut or uncut)) , make a double binding, but instead of folding the binding in half before attaching to quilt, cut it it in half (lengthwise) and stitch to quilt. That way if there is a hole that develops in binding, simply turn back the frayed the treads, and stitch in place (reverse applique) and the repaired hole will be almost invisible. In the 1800's, when most men had whiskers, women used to baste a "protector" onto the top of the quilt to save the original binding. At least that is what I was told. :wink:

momto5 09-08-2011 08:04 AM

Same goes for me...