Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   border dilemma (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/border-dilemma-t275342.html)

indycat32 02-03-2016 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 7454858)
I agree with PP (seems I do that a lot! Great minds think alike). To me the dark border changing to chevrons draws the eye to both the center and those fabulous cornerstones. What I would do to give it more continuity and flow is when you quilt it, quilt "ghost" chevrons of the exact same dimension as your pieced chevrons in the dark mottled black fabric. You could even get brave and quilt them in the colors of burgandy, blue, forest green purple.

I really like that idea. I have thread in the right colors. Now if only I knew how to quilt the quilt itself. I'm limited because I do not do FMQ.

indycat32 02-03-2016 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7454864)
Do you have anymore of the dark grey? I think that would look good as the last chevron has it in the block and if you continued with the colour, the chevrons would appear to float. If you are out of that grey, you should be able to find a similar grey to use. Great top by the way!

Unfortunately not enough of the dark gray, and the rule is no adding more of any fabric and no adding any different fabric.

Dina 02-03-2016 10:46 AM

I love your quilt!!!! It really is beautiful the way it is!!

Dina

Tartan 02-03-2016 12:05 PM

I do like the idea of quilting in ghost chevrons on the dark. Another idea is, see what colour the WRONG side of the dark fabric is. You might be happier using the wrong side and it would still not break the rules. A quilt teacher once told me....you own both sides of the fabric, use the side that works best.

Plee1053 02-03-2016 01:19 PM

I like it as is unless you extend the cornerstone arrows to meet the other arrows! Beautiful quilt!

ManiacQuilter2 02-03-2016 01:27 PM

Since you can't use anymore grey, just leave it as is. When a quilt is busy, I like something calming for my borders.

LindaMRB 02-03-2016 02:33 PM

I actually like the arrows where they are except for the 1st one that is blue on grey/red on grey. it seems out of place with the others, even though the colors are from the quilt. I really like asymmetry so there you have it!

indycat32 02-03-2016 03:51 PM

thanks to everyone for the comments and compliments. I'm going to leave it as is. I think I just needed some positive reinforcement. I was not looking forward to ripping out black thread on black fabric. Now to decide on the backing and how to quilt the main part of the quilt.

QuiltnNan 02-03-2016 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7454833)
I like the black. To me that 'sudden transition' makes the arrows pop. I vote for leaving it as is.

i agree... i looks good

just_the_scraps_m'am 02-03-2016 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7454833)
I like the black. To me that 'sudden transition' makes the arrows pop. I vote for leaving it as is.

have to agree with paperprincess -- looks fine!