Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   border dilemma (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/border-dilemma-t275342.html)

indycat32 02-03-2016 09:08 AM

border dilemma

1 Attachment(s)
I am not thrilled with this border. I think it's because of the sharp contrast between the black and the sudden transition to the light on the arrows. I'm thinking about replacing it with a strip of two inch squares of the color fabrics with black on either side. All I have are dark colors in the quilt (I have no more of the light gray) and I'm concerned that they won't show up surrounded by black. I do want to keep the corner stones (mainly because it was very labor intensive to make them). Opinions?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]541799[/ATTACH]

bjchad 02-03-2016 09:11 AM

I agree. If it were me I think I would do the arrows all the way around. With the cornerstones as is.

tessagin 02-03-2016 09:22 AM

I agree with bjchad or leave it as is.

Originally Posted by bjchad (Post 7454803)
I agree. If it were me I think I would do the arrows all the way around. With the cornerstones as is.

indycat32 02-03-2016 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by bjchad (Post 7454803)

I have no more of the light gray and can't get more. this is a challenge quilt and the rule is no adding fabrics.

PaperPrincess 02-03-2016 09:44 AM

I like the black. To me that 'sudden transition' makes the arrows pop. I vote for leaving it as is.

Doggramma 02-03-2016 09:51 AM

I also vote for leaving it as is. I really like your quilt.

feline fanatic 02-03-2016 10:02 AM

I agree with PP (seems I do that a lot! Great minds think alike). To me the dark border changing to chevrons draws the eye to both the center and those fabulous cornerstones. What I would do to give it more continuity and flow is when you quilt it, quilt "ghost" chevrons of the exact same dimension as your pieced chevrons in the dark mottled black fabric. You could even get brave and quilt them in the colors of burgandy, blue, forest green purple.

Tartan 02-03-2016 10:10 AM

Do you have anymore of the dark grey? I think that would look good as the last chevron has it in the block and if you continued with the colour, the chevrons would appear to float. If you are out of that grey, you should be able to find a similar grey to use. Great top by the way!

SuziSew 02-03-2016 10:19 AM

I really like it the way it is but you could use the darker grey with the colors and then gradually use the black with the colors for your arrows. Sort of a "gradation" (I think that's the right word). Personally I wouldn't change a thing, it looks amazing!

rryder 02-03-2016 10:22 AM

I like the edgy quality that the black gives to your quilt. I think is is wonderful as it is. Have you thought about setting the quilt aside for a little while and then looking at it again to see if it still bothers you? Sometimes the things that bother me in a piece when I first finish it turn out to be things that I like the most about it when I've had time away from it and can see it with fresh eyes.

Rob