Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   border dilemma (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/border-dilemma-t275342.html)

quilttiger 02-04-2016 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 7454879)
I like the edgy quality that the black gives to your quilt. I think is is wonderful as it is. Have you thought about setting the quilt aside for a little while and then looking at it again to see if it still bothers you? Sometimes the things that bother me in a piece when I first finish it turn out to be things that I like the most about it when I've had time away from it and can see it with fresh eyes.

Rob

I have found that Rob's technique works well for me, too. I used to obsess over this and that until I started walking away from the design wall for a few hours. When I return, I see the design with fresh eyes, same as Rob does, and I like it after all.

paoberle 02-04-2016 03:53 AM

How about all black with the cornerstones?

Kris P 02-04-2016 04:49 AM

I love it just as it is. Stop second guessing your design choices.

Boston1954 02-04-2016 06:42 AM

No more light grey. Do you have some of the medium grey? I would do a plain border of that. It would frame it up nicely.

institches33 02-04-2016 06:56 AM

I looked at the picture before I read your text and I thought...Wow! Something with more interest!

Fabric Galore 02-04-2016 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 7454858)
I agree with PP (seems I do that a lot! Great minds think alike). To me the dark border changing to chevrons draws the eye to both the center and those fabulous cornerstones. What I would do to give it more continuity and flow is when you quilt it, quilt "ghost" chevrons of the exact same dimension as your pieced chevrons in the dark mottled black fabric. You could even get brave and quilt them in the colors of burgandy, blue, forest green purple.

I agree with feline fanatic. That would be an eye popper and also provide a contrast for the center of the quilt.

youngduncan 02-04-2016 07:09 AM

I vote for leaving it as it is. The crispness of the black definitely halts the center design, but it makes your arrows pop. I think this is wonderful! Enjoy your creativity!

maviskw 02-04-2016 07:23 AM

I like your arrangement of the Disappearing Hour Glass. I haven't seen that before. I think the ghost chevrons in those borders sounds like a winning idea. Make the thread stand out.

margecam52 02-04-2016 07:54 AM

I like the border. I'd really just leave it as is...then when it's quilted...use a silver or gray thread...will tone down the black & really pop on the quilt.

Originally Posted by indycat32 (Post 7454797)
I am not thrilled with this border. I think it's because of the sharp contrast between the black and the sudden transition to the light on the arrows. I'm thinking about replacing it with a strip of two inch squares of the color fabrics with black on either side. All I have are dark colors in the quilt (I have no more of the light gray) and I'm concerned that they won't show up surrounded by black. I do want to keep the corner stones (mainly because it was very labor intensive to make them). Opinions?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]541799[/ATTACH]

red-warrior 02-04-2016 08:06 AM

I really like it as is also!