Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Botched border remedy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/botched-border-remedy-t308627.html)

Jordan 12-16-2019 06:07 AM

Your quilt is very pretty and I am sorry you are so disappointed. I think you must have had something else in mind and maybe the quilter did not understand or the instructions from you were not clear enough to the quilter. I hope that over time you learn to like it.

Mrobert 12-16-2019 06:17 AM

Thank you for trying to make me feel better about the quilt. I felt the dark green design detracted from the beauty of the blocks, which are very intricately embroidered by my late aunt. If the bottom can be cut off and rebound I could probably live with it, not love it. I may ask her if she would mind redoing that for me. Maybe I am just too OCD or something...

JanieW 12-16-2019 06:43 AM

It really doesn’t matter how many people like the quilt...you don’t. I agree with you that the different border size is bothersome. If it were me, I would take the binding off and cut the wider the same size as the narrow one plus a seam allowance and then reattach the binding.

If you can live with the dark green that would be the easiest fix. If you really can’t then you have a lot of deconstruction to do. It is fixable if you want to do the work or get someone else to do it depending on your budget. The embroidery is lovely and you should be able to show case it the way that you choose.

Iceblossom 12-16-2019 06:47 AM

It's hard when we have a vision of something and we don't quite reach it. It's one of the ways I score my projects, sometimes a close but not quite is worse than a complete miss. While you aren't appreciating the "checkerboard" effect and you were expecting a lattice setting the two are so radically different that maybe you can grow to appreciate the difference.

And there are some things that are just going to bug us, for me the border difference is something I can live with because the only time I will really notice it is when I fold the quilt up. But I have some tiny little piddling things that annoy me in some of my projects and even when I point them out, other people don't see what I'm talking about.

I think you are just a bit too close to the project right now. Put it away in a closet for about 3 months and try not to think about it and then pull it out. If you still hate it and will never use it, then change it or give it or do something. Also think about if you had never seen it and if your aunt showed you the top because it is how she ended up having it done -- would you love it then or still hate it? lol, you are allowed to still hate it, just a question to ask yourself.

Mrobert 12-16-2019 07:23 AM

Do you think she would take offense if I ask her to cut off the bottom and redo the trim. I am not a quilter. I just like to embroider blocks for children’s quilts. Is there a reason a quilter would make the border wider on the bottom than the top or was it a mistake?

nativetexan 12-16-2019 07:29 AM

if you do end up cutting anything off, do a stitch or have a stitch done all around inside the "cut" line to keep those quilting stitches from coming apart. good luck.

AZ Jane 12-16-2019 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper (Post 8340806)
Mrobert…..I know this isn't what you had in mind, but it's lovely. I wouldn't change it at all.

Completely agree! I'd would love to have it!!

ScubaK 12-16-2019 07:42 AM

I think the quilt is lovely.
As for the borders not being the same size, there is a school of thought that the bottom border be wider than the top. It is most like matting a picture. It looks most pleasing when the bottom is wider.
I realize this doesn't help you but again, your quilt is lovely.
Kirsten

Onebyone 12-16-2019 07:44 AM

The quilt is pretty but it's not what you wanted. Every time you look at it you will be disappointed. If a change is doable then have it done.

Anniedeb 12-16-2019 09:08 AM

To answer your question, yes. The bottom can be trimmed and rebound. What is important is that you wanted a quilt that honored the beautiful work your late aunt did. Have the adjustment made to get closer to what you originally had in mind.