Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying Fabric on eBay (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-fabric-ebay-t105429.html)

Scakes 03-07-2011 05:15 PM

I've bought fabric on ebay several times and only had 2 problems. One piece was not 100% cotton but a ploy/cotton blend. I decided to keep it as it would work on a project I was doing - not quilt related. But I did let the seller know and she was very apologetic. Second time, the fabric was 100% cotton but advertised as quilting cotton. It was a very heavy fabric - almost denim weight - good for a tote bag, etc. Again I told the seller that it wasn't what I expected since it wasn't quilting weight cotton. She didn't quilt and didn't realize it was so heavy. I was very pleasantly surprised to find a new fabric in my mailbox a few days later. I'd definitely shop for fabric on ebay again.

lnikkers52 03-07-2011 05:26 PM

the only problem i ever had was i ordered from UK or China someplace where they didn't except U.S dollars. so it was a 2 month hassel to finally get my stuff. But that was my fault for not paying attention. Just be ware and all should be good. Other than that i've never had a problem. And i do a lot of buying on ebay.

dphelps 03-07-2011 05:28 PM

A great deal of my stash is from EBay. I have had nothing but good come from my buying experiences.

Kate01 03-07-2011 05:37 PM

I buy and sell on eBay and I have never had a problem either way. I have 100% positive feedback and work hard to keep it that way. The advice here is great, check feedback and read the description carefully. Good Luck Shopping. Kate01

On eBay I am kate-catlady

Annz 03-07-2011 06:44 PM

I haven't up to this point but i hear that most people have been satisfied.

raedar63 03-07-2011 06:53 PM

I buy I would say I buy 95% of my fabric off of ebay , it is rare that I have had a problem. And Even when I was disapointed it wasn'tt that big of deal( I only had trouble bidding on scrap lots and just really nice things or things I wanted shown in pic and what was the majority in the box was not acuratly described} I just used what I really didn't want and PIF ,the recipients were happy with what I couldn't use:)

nevans-nona 03-07-2011 07:00 PM

I have purchased many squares,yards with no problem. Yes,the rating is a must. You can get great prices. Like I explained to my husband, now with the gas prices it's easier because there is no tax and if you use the same seller for multiple purchases they combine shipping. It's a win,win situation.

marknfran 03-07-2011 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by eparys
I have bought a lot of fabric on EBAY and been successful. The real trick is knowing what you want and asking questions. Lots are OK to bid on but my experience with them is that sometimes non quilters includes fabric that may not suit your need for quilting. That being said I always find a use for that fabric that I do not use in my quilts.

Also I have found specific fabric that I was in need of on Ebay that was no longer available in brick and mortar stores. Great source of fabric - but not always cheaper than on sale prices at other stores.

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Some of my favorite sellers: ...

Frank's - very fast and easy to deal with - I've bought a lot of his FQ assortments, recently Jinny Beyer, 30's & CW collections. There are usually a couple of "stinkers" in the assortments, but at $1.00 each and actual shipping charges, you are getting a real bargain:
http://shop.ebay.com/franks11/m.html..._from=&_ipg=25

Franks actually has a brick and mortar store not too far from me - he is a hoot, the store is in a dumpy building and his prices are as cheap as can be if he has what you want.

WOW, his site is awesome. Even some fat quarters are less than a dollar.....gotta save some money up before going back there again!!!!! Definitely will go there! Thanks.

joyceinoh 03-07-2011 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Scakes
I've bought fabric on ebay several times and only had 2 problems. One piece was not 100% cotton but a ploy/cotton blend. I decided to keep it as it would work on a project I was doing - not quilt related. But I did let the seller know and she was very apologetic. Second time, the fabric was 100% cotton but advertised as quilting cotton. It was a very heavy fabric - almost denim weight - good for a tote bag, etc. Again I told the seller that it wasn't what I expected since it wasn't quilting weight cotton. She didn't quilt and didn't realize it was so heavy. I was very pleasantly surprised to find a new fabric in my mailbox a few days later. I'd definitely shop for fabric on ebay again.

Most of those seller don't know a thing about fabrilc, or quilting.
They aren't there to rip you off, just to make a few bucks for themselves.

debp33 03-07-2011 07:05 PM

I've had mixed results. Sometimes I'll buy a box lot of fabric and be very surprised (in a good way). Other times I'll be very disappointed. Now that I can recognize fabric patterns (Michael Miller, Alexander Henry, Moda) I go by that instead of just pretty looking fabric pictures.

I've also had problems with the title of the item not accurately matching the description in the auction.