Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can anyone tell me how to tell the new posts from the posts I've already read? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-anyone-tell-me-how-tell-new-posts-posts-ive-already-read-t164988.html)

Prism99 11-02-2011 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Willa (Post 4615553)
On the old board once you read a thread it would turn a different color then if there were any new posts to that thread it said new posts instead of new topic. I knew which ones I read and could read the new ones and not try to remember which ones I read. Now all I see are red and blue envelopes - red for hot topics and blue for the less popular. Many times I read something and, I don't mean to sound mean here but, I don't care to make a comment on somebody's thread. I still like to know that is one I already read without trying to memorize all of them or reread them over and over. So as first stated does anyone know how to identify the ones I've read?

I'm still trying to figure my way around. However, I saw that after I read this thread without commenting on it and went back to Main, the envelope had turned gray and did not have any letters sticking out of it. Also, the title of the thread turned a lighter color, showing I had read this thread but not the darker titles around it. Is this not happening for you?

Also, have noticed that when there is a new post to a thread I have read, aside from the letters sticking up out of the envelopes, there is a small blue circle next to the envelope that will skip all the posts I have read in the thread and take me directly to the first new post in it.

I just wish the envelope colors were brighter. Am having a hard time noticing the difference between blue and gray, for example.

Jazzz 11-02-2011 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady (Post 4615571)
I keep reading the same threads over & over!!!

Me TOO!!!!!

RenaB 11-02-2011 10:30 AM

This is what I have noticed:

When you are looking at the thread titles, to the left there is an evelope. If it is bluish with papers coming out, there are unread posts. If it is gray with the envelope sealed, then there are no unread posts (you have already read them), if you see a green arrow, it means you replied to the thread (already posted).

Hope this helps!

Willa 11-02-2011 11:58 AM

I did use the archive at the bottom of the page and that did help but it doesn't give you any of the benefits from the "normal" pages. Some of the new features are nice and I'm not trying to use this as a gripe session because I do appreciate being able to come here for free and communicating with others about my craft. It would just be nice to have it so you could know with something noticeable. I did look at and understood the envelopes with the papers coming out and with the envelope closed but as soon as someone posts the envelope gets papers again and I'm back to opening it again. lol We will get used to this new style but just wish there was a way to tell a new thread from added topics. I really could care less if a topic is "hot" or not but hate to keep rereading the same thing. Hopefully this issue is being addressed and once the newness is wore off and the bugs are worked out we can feel comfortable again.

Dolphyngyrl 11-02-2011 03:23 PM

go to the bottom of the page under archive and it will pull up all the threads and you can see which ones you have read, just found that out makes it easier to read from there than the forum

pjnesler 11-02-2011 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44 (Post 4615613)
I'm wondering too. I just hate change. I don't know why we had to change. I think most of us were comfortable with the old one... :::sigh:::

Did anyone ASK if we wanted a change? or WHAT should be changed? I bet this did cost lots of money - sort of like the government.....

kat13 11-02-2011 07:24 PM

Man, this is going to take me awhile also to get used to it all, I keep having to refresh cuz for some reason each
page isn't downloading.....i don't like the new yahoo either.....but I am not going to be defeated!! I would be lost
without this board!

PurplePassion 11-02-2011 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by jeanneb52 (Post 4616438)
We WILL figure it all out. It just takes time and faith. I have more faith than time and the old board was easier because we were used to it. I think this will be okay in time....

The point is --why should we waste our time trying to figure it out? Most of us are busy making quilts and sewing things; and came here to have fun and relax a bit. This is making it feel more like going to your job and putting up with crap.

jmabby 11-02-2011 10:10 PM

Let's hope it gets better.

annesthreads 11-03-2011 12:25 AM

I've just noticed that if I go to the final page of the thread and then come out of it, next time I go to the main list, the thread title is no longer in bold. I don't think this happened if I just looked at the first page of the thread.

I think the new design is going to be OK - a learning curve from time to time doesn't do my ageing brain any harm!