Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   can this pattern be made into a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-pattern-made-into-quilt-t189428.html)

nativetexan 05-21-2012 07:35 AM

copyright of floor tiles?

bearisgray 05-21-2012 08:52 AM

If I counted correctly -

There is an 8-pointed star in the center - going from the center to the outside
First row of 'squarish' tiles - 20
Next row of tiles - 28
Row of skinny rectangular tiles - 48
Largish square tiles - 24
Diamond tiles - 24

Then I stopped counting

A circle has 360 degrees -

I think I would use 24 as my 'starting number' for making a design 'in the style of' -

360 divided by 24 would equal 15 degrees per segment.

16 'segments' would be easier, because then the circle could be folded to get the divisions.

QuilterMomma 05-21-2012 09:32 AM

Also, put the photo to black and white, print out, highlight carefully the lines because if you squiggle, it will show, then take to copy place to have enlarged to a good size then cut yourself some templates and go to work. If you are wanting it really large, just enlarge 1/4 of it and then you can do four times and get a queen out of it. that is what I do and it has worked well. One of mine placed in the fair taking first on modern design. have fun.

QandE2010 05-21-2012 09:48 AM

I agree, this will make a stunning stained glass quilt. Be sure to give us progress reports as you go along. Good luck.

Stitchit123 05-21-2012 10:38 AM

I have a friend who works at Lowes and he told me that all these patio designs are straight out of Quilt pattern books. his Momma is a beautiful quilter for over 60 yrs -so he recognizes all of them. I know I've seen this one in a quilt book at the library recently. I'll try to find it and let you know which book it is

Jingle 05-21-2012 12:45 PM

I couldn't make a pattern but. that would make an absolutely beautiful quilt block. a big quilt of this blocks would really make a gorgeous quilt. Good luck figuring it out.

caspharm 05-21-2012 07:41 PM

Definitely. There are a couple of quilt book authors who have done tile: Christine Porter and the author of the Bella Bella books.

charlotte37830 05-21-2012 07:51 PM

I saw this same design and the first thought I had was that it would make a great quilt design.

sewbeadit 05-21-2012 10:31 PM

Okay, you all get this pattern going and then share it with us!

Cathleen Colson 05-22-2012 04:46 PM

The tiles in the borders around the star look square or rectangle to me, with the extra space to make the increasingly larger circles being provided by more grout space at the outer edges and less at the inner edges. So if using fabric instead of grout, either your squares/rectangles would have to distort at the outer edges, or your "background" pieces would have to adjust, depending on what method you are using (stained glass vs. just pieced shapes). Interesting project! Let us know if you draft it out, 'cause I've seen some sunflower centers and camelias I'd like to reproduce!