Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can someone please tell me why this is happening? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-someone-please-tell-me-why-happening-t170711.html)

COYOTEMAGIC 12-04-2011 05:22 AM

I was having the same problem yesterday. Rethreading, didn't work. It was the tension. Make sure that wh This en you start that you are holding you threads tight, you have lowered your needle to the fabric, and start sewing very slowly.This is what solved my problems

Rose L 12-04-2011 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo (Post 4745404)
I just had that happen to me today. It was because my thread had come out of my tension so rethreading did the trick.

Weird, it must have been the day for this little thing to show up everywhere. I fought with my machine all morning and finally walked away after cleaning everything and re-doing it all several times. When I came back I realized that the thread was jumping out of the tension disks. I re-threaded and tightened the tension a smidge. Worked just fine after that. Hope you find your problem, it sure can be frustrating.

Buckeye Rose 12-04-2011 05:41 AM

I had the very same problem with my Janome 6600. I tried everything with no results. I had to turn it off and walk away. When I had calmed down, I turned her back on and everything was fine! I figured out that the thread had popped out of the tension discs and I just had to turn it off/on and rethread.

Steady Stiching 12-04-2011 06:41 AM

I would first get a new bobbin in there, match top and bottom threads in same weight cotton. And change needle as mentioned before.

a note on quilting with knit fabric. It really needs to be stablized with woven iron on stabilizer before being sewn into the quilt. It will make construction and quilting easier.

frarose 12-04-2011 07:20 AM

Glad you got the kinks worked out. yes the ladies on this board are a great help.

niftynickel 12-04-2011 07:28 AM

Another thought I just learned after having problems with my Babylock , I spoke with the shop I bought her and the technician said to be sure to use a quilting needle when doing thicknesses /quilting and you will have less skipping and messes on the back etc. Boy what a difference I saw when you match the needle to the project you are making. So sometimes a new/different needle helps at my house when frustration sets in at the sewing machine. Sometimes we are solving a little sewing mystery! :)

kaylfordsollimo 12-04-2011 09:58 AM

I would recommend that you clean out the bobbin case. There can be an accumulated mass of lint that built up out of sight. New needle?

vivoaks 12-04-2011 10:48 AM

That happened to my SIL at a quilt class, and the teacher said her bobbin wasn't wound tight enough. Now when I wind my bobbin, I hold the thread against the machine with one finger to give it a bit more tension going on the bobbin. It also helps get a little more thread on the bobbin, I think.

BuzzinBumble 12-04-2011 11:03 AM

I'm neck deep in making a quilt from stretchy baby clothes now too Susan! And for Christmas as well. :oI'm doing mine in sailboat blocks mounted on foundation paper piecing to try to minimize troubles with the stretch. But once it gets into the quilt sandwich stage I am worried about what it will do and plan to stitch like you are - with a walking foot and outlining shapes. I hope you can find a solution to the thread snarls.

In the past when I've had thread troubles and bird's nesting, it always helped to totally rethread both the top and bobbin thread, put in a new needle and test in on a scrap fabric sandwich to make sure the tension is okay. Usually that does the trick.
Good luck working your trouble out and please make sure you post your quilt once it's finished! Can't wait to see it! :thumbup:

patdesign 12-04-2011 11:25 AM

Check to see that your top thread is engaged in the tension discs. The best way to do this is to completely rethread the machine. Also remove and re insert bobbin case making sure that the thread is seated properly in case, ie going in the right direction. If you still experience loops on underside then tighten the top tension. That should take care of the problem.:)