Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can someone please tell me why this is happening? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-someone-please-tell-me-why-happening-t170711.html)

LindaDeeter 12-04-2011 11:41 AM

After cleaning, changing to a new needle, insert a new full bobbin (always pull up the bobbin thread first). ... try practicing on a sandwich made of exactly the same fabrics you are quilting on. The least amount of lint in your bobbin area can cause problems!

luv2so 12-04-2011 03:50 PM

Years ago I was sewing some knit with poly in them and got the same problems. I was told to use a ballpoint needle. That solved the problem for me.

Why is it when we're working on Christmas gifts our machines rebel. I had to take my embroidery machine in, it totally locked up on me. The service man said that two tension springs broke and he's never seen that happen before.

I have the stangest things happen to me.

BettyGee 12-04-2011 05:20 PM

Well I'll stick my two cents in and it is basically what everyone else has told you. Nine times out ten when I get bird nests I re-thread, clean everything, change the needle and check the tension and stitch length. I have had times when it was because I forgot to put the foot down - duh, yeah we all do that at one time or another. Hope this all works for you as it can be so totally frustrating.

hperttula123 12-04-2011 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by susanwilley (Post 4746337)
Thanks so much everyone! I knew this would be the place to go to for help! My quilting board world is so full of great people I knew I would get the help I needed! I had cleaned and oiled the bobbin case but went back again after all the suggestions and did the deep cleaning I would normally do after finishing a project and before starting another. Also, I have a feeling I may have left the presser foot up when rethreading, that hoping foot does look the same up or down polyparrot. Anyway, after trying the suggestions you wonderful quilters suggested I think I have it working now. I was left with one tiny tiny loop in my sample line of stitches, but I'm sure that will be worked out on its own! Thanks again to all you wonderful quilters! Love this board and love love love all of you!! So grateful to have stumbled across this board!

so glad it worked!!! Sometimes it is just the littlest thing. It's good to double check everything. :)

bignan 1935 12-04-2011 08:17 PM

my machine bobbin lays flat and if i start to fast it kinda jumps and does the bird nest thing and then all the other sugestions i need to try.

BETTY62 12-04-2011 08:23 PM

I don't know how to help you but I do hope you get your problem resolved soon.

LeeWaltenberry 12-05-2011 08:32 AM

To avoid the nest on the back of the quilt - do the following
needle down to catch the bobbin thread, pull the bobbin thread up to the top, secure your first couple of stitches.

LeeWaltenberry 12-05-2011 08:33 AM

To avoid nest on back of quilt.
Needle down to catch the bobbin thread, pull bobbin thread to top and secure with a couple of stitches then begin quilting.

harvsstuff 12-05-2011 08:35 AM

I found this topic very helpful.

harvsstuff 12-05-2011 08:35 AM

interestesting topic