Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can someone tell me what this is and what it if for? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-someone-tell-me-what-what-if-t67454.html)

Bev 09-30-2010 06:09 PM

[quote/]You can still buy that paper now, sad to say I still have some and also the tracing wheel from highschool in the early 70's[/quote]

I still have my old wood handled one with a package of several sheets of different color paper. Haven't used it in forever.

8-)

Norva 09-30-2010 06:33 PM

I have one from my old garment making days but now I use it for scoring fold lines on my Freezer Paper foundation pieces. Use a light touch you don't want to tear the paper.

jitkaau 09-30-2010 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by ssnare
sewing tool

It is a pattern - tracing tool. You place paper underneath an original pattern and then run this tool on the line that you want to trace. It will prick through the original pattern and leave little pricks in the paper underneath. You then cut out the pattern along the little pin - pricks on the underside paper. It is particularly useful if you have a multi - size pattern that you want to re - use in the different sizes and you don't have to spend time tracing the pattern and then cutting it out.

jitkaau 09-30-2010 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by ssnare
Thank you all. I laughed with some of the comments. I tried to cut paper with it, and that didn't work, so I tried to cut cloth with it, and that didn't work. I asked my husband, and he had no idea. ROFL. He said it was something sharp. LOL. :lol: It has a little curved metal piece on it, what is that for?

If we are looking at the same piece, that curved part is where you put your index finger.

Annz 09-30-2010 06:52 PM

It is used in sewing to trace a pattern from tracing paper onto material.

seasaw2mch 09-30-2010 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
It.s a dressmaking tool! Tracing wheel used to transfer pattern markings to fabric!!

yep that it is but it is also good at marking patterns on wood for burnings as well. I have my grandma and both my husband's and & mothers tracing wheels. They are also great for kids playing with play-do as well. Over the years we have found lots of good uses for them. I have the rough ones as well as a smooth edge ones. Next time you are doing any art project think about the ways it will come in handy. Oh I almost forgot. If you make your own greeting cards, the smooth edge ones are great for marking the folds so you get a nice smooth fold. Have fun with you new found tool!

cherryberry 09-30-2010 07:42 PM

Tracing wheels and tracing paper are still sold at most all fabric stores including Jo Ann's, Wal Marts. Hobby Lobby and Michaels. My grandaughters tell me they are still used in their sewing classes and part of their required sewing kits.

tjradj 09-30-2010 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I think it's for cutting a minature pizza...............

ha ha ha ha , you funny :lol:

Susie42quilter 09-30-2010 07:54 PM

It is a tracing wheel used for marking darts and such when making clothing. I have also used it in quilting for marking
placement of applique flowers on black fabric.

All is fair game when quilting!!!!

hapytlk 09-30-2010 08:11 PM

tracing wheel..used one for years..marking dresses/blouses...darts in skirts/pants.