Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can someone tell me what this is and what it if for? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-someone-tell-me-what-what-if-t67454.html)

cappi46 09-30-2010 12:49 PM

HAHAHA OH DEARRRRRRRR

roseOfsharon 09-30-2010 12:51 PM

A tracing wheel for marking darts and seams onto fabric from a pattern. :)

Bev 09-30-2010 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by ssnare
sewing tool

It's not a quilting tool. It's an old pattern tracer tool for making clothes. 8-)

Lizzygail 09-30-2010 02:18 PM

It is a tracing wheel as most mentioned but I saw it used in a 'quilting tip' to score paper piecing patterns to make the paper easier to tear away. So if you paper piece, don't get rid of it yet!

linmid 09-30-2010 02:20 PM

It is called a tracing tool. It is used a lot in making clothes that has darts in the pattern. You put tracing paper on the fabric lay the pattern paper over it and trace the dart.

Linnie/TX

garysgal 09-30-2010 02:32 PM

It's a tracing wheel-keep it, it may be worth something some day.

ssnare 09-30-2010 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Minnisewta
I think only us "more mature" quilters/sewers know what that is.
The neighbors granddaughter was trying to us grandma's phone to call her mom.
She was pushing the numbers but nothing would happen. It was a dial phone and she had no clue how to use it.
Times, they are a changin

My son's tease us. We still have a dial phone hanging on the wall. I can remember when we use to have a party line and you had to count the rings to know if it was for you or not.

:lol: :D

ssnare 09-30-2010 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Gerbie

Originally Posted by Rhonda

Originally Posted by trupeach1
OMG I have mind from HomeEc class in 7th grade it has a wood handle. If it is 42 years old is it antique or vintage.LOL

It's a collectible til it is at least 50 yrs old. My mom was an antique dealer. Tho it really depends on what type of item you are talking about as differant things are antique at differant ages. But the general rule is 50 yrs.

Well Gee Rhonda, I am more than 50 yrs old, so do I rate as an antique or a collectible? My B-day is today, and I'm way past 50. I guess I can tell DH this evening, he has a collectible. We've been married for 40 yrs. now, so our marriage is almost antique as well. lol Sorry but this was just too good to pass up. But I am really glad to know what the general rule is for an antique, because I really love antiques and visiting shops thanks for the good info.

Happy Birthday. We have been married 43 years, so I guess we are still keeping up. I remember now, that I used one with carbon paper too, since all of you are reminding me.

:oops:

GloBug 09-30-2010 03:18 PM

It was used for marking darts and such on patterns with a special wax covered paper. :)

e4 09-30-2010 03:18 PM

It actually looks like someone's attempt to make a tracing wheel from a can opener some time back. The opening on the upper left side and the handle are exactly like part of a can opener I used to have.
I'm surprised that most people say they don't use it anymore. I use it for marking quilt pattern pieces from templates, for marking quilting patterns, and I have a double one that I use to mark quarter inch seams on freezer paper piecing.