Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can someone tell me what this is and what it if for? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-someone-tell-me-what-what-if-t67454.html)

newfiegirl 09-30-2010 04:10 AM

Looks like a tool for making holes around fleece used to make small blankets. You then crochet a border around the fleece.

Charleen DiSante 09-30-2010 04:39 AM

Could the curved metal piece be where you place your index finger to press down, or a protective piece?

Originally Posted by ssnare
Thank you all. I laughed with some of the comments. I tried to cut paper with it, and that didn't work, so I tried to cut cloth with it, and that didn't work. I asked my husband, and he had no idea. ROFL. He said it was something sharp. LOL. :lol: It has a little curved metal piece on it, what is that for?

cjaye44 09-30-2010 04:44 AM

I think we are vintage now :lol: But like fine wine, we get better with age :-D The sad thing about this is that Home Ec is not even offered in many schools today. Not that I liked it...far from it. Who would have ever thought that being a quiltmaker was lurking in my future.,.,certainly not me. The same for geometry :thumbdown: now I use it for figuring out triangles and settings. I keep a tracing wheel and other odds and ends around in my sewing room to remind me just how far I've come.

Quilt Mom 09-30-2010 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by cherryberry

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I think it's for cutting a minature pizza...............

LOL.... too funny!!! Some of us who still sew clothes still use a tracing wheel for marking dart lines, pleat line, etc

Glad to know I am not the only one who still uses one! I taught my daughter how to use it a few years back, too.

LindaR 09-30-2010 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by ssnare
sewing tool

this is so funny, the last time I saw one of these is in high school sewing class....used with tracing paper to mark darts, seams etc....flash back :lol:

Sew 'N Sew 09-30-2010 05:10 AM

Like many others have said -- it's a tracing wheel. This was common when I started to sew 60 years ago --- to know this tool might "date" us!!

grann of 6 09-30-2010 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by missionslady
It is a tracing wheel to be used with tracing paper when cutting out a pattern and transfer the markings. You usually use it when making garments. I've never had a need for it with quilting.

Yes, I have one too; it was my grandmother's. One time when my daughter was about 6 or 7, she decided it would be convenient to use to cut scotch tape. She was supposed to be in her room resting & reading. She got into the closet where I kept my sewing to look for scissors, found that and ended up with it going into her eye. We ended up spending the afternoon in an opthomologists office. Luckily her eye wasn't damaged, just scratched. But she won't have anything to do with the tracing wheel anymore.

Dodee 09-30-2010 05:19 AM

I agree with Mimi Baby Yow - I have one from years ago that was my mother's.

cheyanne4 09-30-2010 05:31 AM

This looks like a tracing tool that I used to use to trace my patterns onto my fabric in Home ec wheniI was in school many years ago.

Minnisewta 09-30-2010 05:38 AM

I think only us "more mature" quilters/sewers know what that is.
The neighbors granddaughter was trying to us grandma's phone to call her mom.
She was pushing the numbers but nothing would happen. It was a dial phone and she had no clue how to use it.
Times, they are a changin