Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can these numbers be right. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-these-numbers-right-t83272.html)

deema 12-16-2010 02:36 PM

that's why i don't buy pre cuts often. i always price check to determine price per yard before I consider buying.

okiepastor 12-16-2010 02:40 PM

I check prices too-usually pass on pre-cuts, just too expensive.
Besides, coordinating from your stash is good exercise. Just look at the exercise you get getting it out, cutting, and cleaning it up and putting it away! :>)

quilting cat 12-16-2010 02:40 PM

That's about what I have calculated. You pay about $1 for each 2 1/2" strip in a jelly roll, which makes it $15 py.
You are paying for the convenience of having a large variety of fabrics without having as much of each.
Connecting Threads is the only place I know that does not charge more for precuts. (And they brag about it!)

featherweight 12-16-2010 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
I check prices too-usually pass on pre-cuts, just too expensive.
Besides, coordinating from your stash is good exercise. Just look at the exercise you get getting it out, cutting, and cleaning it up and putting it away! :>)

You have a good point there... I may have to cut some just for the exercise... lol

carolaug 12-16-2010 03:11 PM

Buy a GO...it will pay for its self in months...for me the hours of cutting alone is worth it!!!

Scissor Queen 12-16-2010 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by kellen46
So I was trying to calculate how much those precut fabric bundles really cost and I came up with this...
layer cake, about 42 ten inch squares equals 2.34 yards of fabric.
Average price of fabric $7 a yard
2.34 yards = 19.25
price of layer cake about $35
I based these on info from a reasonably priced fabric site and going by Moda fabrics.
That makes the layer cake fabric about twice the price of the cut fabric. Can this be right? If so someone is making out like a bandit. Now I can cut my own fabric squares. Precuts are nice and convenient but from now on I will rethink my purchasing options. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

I think your math is off. You get 12 ten inch squares per yard with a little bit leftover. So 42 squares would be 3 and 2/3rds of a yard.

Fabric has been $8.50 to $10.00 a yard for some time now.

If you're paying $35 for a layer cake you're not paying all that much over the price of regular yardage.

Shelbie 12-16-2010 03:18 PM

I never buy pre-cuts of any sort unless they are an incredible price. Last week I found beautiful batics at $1 a fat quarter and I bought 25! You are really paying for the convenience of having someone cut the fabric for you. The same thing happens with shredded cheese or pre-washed, chopped and peeled vegetables. They just aren't on my grocery list. Perhaps I'm not a good one to ask though because I love to cut!

jrhboxers 12-16-2010 03:22 PM

That is another reason why I love Connecting Threads. Their fabrics are wonderful and the price is figured with by their yardage prices. SSSSOOOOOO much cheaper than any of the others. And I have yet to be displeased with anything from them.

tjradj 12-16-2010 03:26 PM

Yes, your math is right. You're paying for the convenience. And you're paying for the variety.
Considering most retail has a minimum of 100% markup, it's withing that realm.
But, as others have said, I don't buy them unless they're on sale.

hperttula123 12-16-2010 03:33 PM

I only buy yardage of fabric now. I've bought a couple jellyrolls and they were off so bad that my quilt didn't line up at all. So I don't buy the cuts anymore. I think that if I have to take the time to recut them all, I might as well just buy larger quantities of the fabric and use them for a couple projects.