Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can these numbers be right. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-these-numbers-right-t83272.html)

CoriAmD 12-16-2010 03:39 PM

I have always thought 1/2 the price of the precuts was for the convenience of not having to cut ourselves. I cut my own too, but did buy some precut diamonds and turnovers just because I didn't want to bother with that cutting. Probably won't buy them like that again as they were much more expensive

quiltsRfun 12-16-2010 03:42 PM

I thought about the extra cost but decided my time is worth something. I like getting all the coordinating fabrics without the shopping, pressing, and cutting. Cutting is one of my least favorite parts about quilting. And as someone else said you're sure to get accurate cuts. Pre-cuts are a real incentive for me to get going on a project.

greensleeves 12-16-2010 09:31 PM

No offense but I think your calculations are a little off. A layer cake is about 2 3/4 yds and I'd love to find Moda for $7 yd. You are paying for the opportunity to have a sample of every coordinating fabric in a particular line and I agree layer cakes are over-priced but I usually buy them on sale and like that I can use up most of the fabric in one project.

Sorry, I see someone else questioned your calculations also. I wouldn't have posted if I had seen that.

Scissor Queen 12-16-2010 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by greensleeves
No offense but I think your calculations are a little off. A layer cake is about 2 3/4 yds and I'd love to find Moda for $7 yd. You are paying for the opportunity to have a sample of every coordinating fabric in a particular line and I agree layer cakes are over-priced but I usually buy them on sale and like that I can use up most of the fabric in one project.

Sorry, I see someone else questioned your calculations also. I wouldn't have posted if I had seen that.

A layer cake has to be more than three yards because you can only get 12 ten inch squares out of a yard.

bearisgray 12-16-2010 10:05 PM

Theoretically, one could get 44 squares from a 110 inch length of fabric (3 yards 2 inches) (Width of fabric between 41 and 45 inches)

The precut variety packs may be worth it if one wants a very small amount of each of many different fabrics.

Aren't Moda fabrics - regularly priced - frequently at least $10/yard?

So $35 for a 42 pack would not be that unreasonable if fabric is going for $10/yard.

Nathan's Mimi 12-17-2010 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by kellen46
So I was trying to calculate how much those precut fabric bundles really cost and I came up with this...
layer cake, about 42 ten inch squares equals 2.34 yards of fabric.
Average price of fabric $7 a yard
2.34 yards = 19.25
price of layer cake about $35
I based these on info from a reasonably priced fabric site and going by Moda fabrics.
That makes the layer cake fabric about twice the price of the cut fabric. Can this be right? If so someone is making out like a bandit. Now I can cut my own fabric squares. Precuts are nice and convenient but from now on I will rethink my purchasing options. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

I think your math is off. You get 12 ten inch squares per yard with a little bit leftover. So 42 squares would be 3 and 2/3rds of a yard.

Fabric has been $8.50 to $10.00 a yard for some time now.

If you're paying $35 for a layer cake you're not paying all that much over the price of regular yardage.

This ias how I figured it also

watterstide 12-17-2010 03:07 AM

If you want one of everything in that line..and you can find it on sale..it is nice to have.
i have only bought a few over the years, and then i found connecting threads..
so i have bought more precuts from them than anyone else.although i still prefer yardage.

One LQS won't cut anything smaller than 1/4 yard.
the other LQS has cut less for me, to finish a project, and i appreciate that.

grann of 6 12-17-2010 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by greensleeves

Yes, the calculations are off because there are only 12 cuts per yard. 3x12 is 36, not 42.

sherriequilts 12-17-2010 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
I thought about the extra cost but decided my time is worth something. I like getting all the coordinating fabrics without the shopping, pressing, and cutting. Cutting is one of my least favorite parts about quilting. And as someone else said you're sure to get accurate cuts. Pre-cuts are a real incentive for me to get going on a project.

This bit about getting accurate cuts from precuts is not quite true. Too many times have I and others I know found them to be off by nearly 1/4 inch which can lead to serious problems when sewing together the whole quilt. Supposedly, precuts are becoming more accurate. I don't think I will be buying them. Rots of Ruck! Happy quilting.

steelecg 12-17-2010 05:21 AM

precuts are great for applique, but they are not cost effective -