Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can you really make a quilt in a day? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-you-really-make-quilt-day-t179596.html)

sewingsuz 02-16-2012 05:09 PM

No, I don't think i could make a quilt in a day. My neck and arms would really hurt. I am not in a race either. Takes the fun out of your hobby. Slow down and smell the flowers if they are coming up yet.

earthwalker 02-16-2012 05:15 PM

I like to power through the housework....but linger over quilting and gardening...my two favourite things to do.

Grandma Peg 02-16-2012 05:28 PM

For me that saying is you get all the prep, finding the right fabrics, cutting and lay out and then when you saw hopefully you can sew it in a day. Just my opinion.

AzQuiltHag 02-16-2012 05:39 PM

At my LQS we joke about Eleanor Burns having peeps (people). Her peeps do the cutting, cleaning up, pressing, etc. Eleanor does the sewing (making). We love Eleanor and are jealous of the peeps! LOL

omaluvs2quilt 02-16-2012 06:10 PM

The only Eleanor Burns "Quilt in a Day" I did took me 3 months 4-6 hours per day! It was a queen and had lots of pieces. I wondered the same thing...can this really be true?

luce321 02-16-2012 06:16 PM

As the lady ahead of me mentioned, Eleanor Burns has her peeps to do the hard stuff. I suppose she even has someone to pick up the scraps she throws over her shoulder. He! He! One of my sister's, who was six years older than me would start sewing an outfit in the a.m. and finish it to wear that evening. I think that is great, but personally I have never liked to rush when I sew.

dublb 02-16-2012 06:28 PM

I think that the jelly roll races are planned events to make quilts for charity. The camaraderie, since of accomplishment, & the charities get the quilts! I bet that they are fun even if ya aren't in a race.

I'm making my second 6 hour quilt. They are taking me 2 weeks! I don't work outside of the house. I'm slow!

BellaBoo 02-16-2012 06:39 PM

You can 'birth' a quilt and tie it and have it finished in a couple of hours or less. No binding when you turn a quilt. It's a great way to have instant gratification.

IAmCatOwned 02-16-2012 07:04 PM

I've done a couple of E. Burn's quilts in a day. The problem is that these days, my limit is sewing 3-4 hours and I'm done in. I have done the log cabin, snowball, and a couple of others in a day.

This is for the top. If you want to finish the quilt from beginning to end in a day, you would layer different, sew the batting to the backing and top and turn inside out. Finish the edge. Then, you can sew down a few long lines using your walking foot (depending on what batting you have). No binding.

Most of the quilt-in-a-day book patterns can't be done in a day. They are speedy techniques and are published by Quilt in a Day, but it takes more than one day to do them.

Why would you want a speedy quilt? Think emergency gift. A gift for someone who is seriously ill. Sick people will tend to enjoy a comforting quilt more than they would lots of flowers or balloons. I like working on a quick quilt when sewing with my sister. She doesn't quilt. We can spend a lot of time chatting without me making a lot of mistakes.

liking quilting 02-16-2012 08:35 PM

No. I'm too new. I cannot make a quilt in a day; not sure I would want to be done that quick!!! Then I'd feel bad when the next quilt took months. ha ha